05 January 2009

Walkabout

The Australian Aborigines undertake a spiritual journey know as a walkabout. My mother often used the term to explain my continual wanderings from the family home when I was young; the term was also used by Dr Stephen Franklin, a character on the science-fiction show Babylon 5, who went on his version of a walkabout in Season 3.

Over the past year I’ve come to the realization that I need to go walkabout – not literally, but figuratively – because I don’t want to spend the rest of my list just existing. I want to enjoy life and, if possible, be happy. Furthermore, it is the New Year, and the New Year is often a time for resolutions. So, this year, I have made two and, by choice, they are not specific. (I've found that with specific resolutions you either keep them or you don't...in my case it is usually the latter.) Both resolutions will be a work in progress but both are more than important, they are necessary.

1) To feel comfortable in my own skin (not just physically, but also emotionally and mentally)

2) To find what makes me happy and what inspires me

Both are a big ask, but you have to start somewhere, right?

So why the blog? It’s to help me learn to express myself and not to be afraid when doing so. I’m sure I’ll edit each post numerous times (this one is a perfect example) before posting it, but I hope to reduce the amount of editing as I go. And as for what the posts contain….I haven’t got that far yet. Probably anything and everything – whatever pops into my head. Books more than likely. Comments are more than welcome.

Thank you for stopping by.

orannia

5 comments:

  1. Go girl! Great start. Adding your blog to my feed reader now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heya kechara

    I'm bouncing up and down and doing a happy dance at the moment - I'm not sure why I think it's such a cool thing that you have a blog, but you do and that's awesome.

    May your walkabout prove fruitful, and if there's anything I can do (or stop doing!) to help you in your travels, just say the word.

    I'm very much looking forward to reading about them.

    WTTW

    me

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the title of your new blog and think the idea of using blogging as a tool for your own personal walkabout is brilliant. I wish you much success and enlightenment on your personal journey and feel honored to even have a small part in it simply by being here to encourage and support you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it, Orannia! Welcome to the wacky world of blogging--and I love the concept of the Walkabout. (Bonus, "Walkabout" is the name of my favorite LOST episode--in which Locke tries to go on a walkabout in Australia!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. *waving furiously* Hello, orannia!!!

    I just realized you have a blog--and had to pop over and comment :grin:

    May your very own walkabout be everything you want and need.

    (If you watched the first season of LOST you'll understand why I say, "don't tell me what I can't do!")

    ReplyDelete