31 March 2009

Cast in Silence (Michelle West)

Cast in Silence is the fifth book in Michelle West's Chronicles of Elantra series. This is definitely (for me anyway) one of those 'ooooooohhhh pretty' covers! And, the cover artist has obviously been briefed about the contents of the book, which is always nice!

The Chronicles of Elantra consists of:
1. Cast In Shadow
2. Cast In Courtlight
3. Cast In Secret
4. Cast In Fury
5. Cast In Silence

For those of you who haven't heard of this (fantasy) series, here is the premise for the first book, Cast in Shadow:
Seven years ago Kaylin fled the crime-riddled streets of Nightshade, knowing that something was after her. Children were being murdered -- and all had the same odd markings that mysteriously appeared on her own skin.…Since then, she's learned to read, she's learned to fight and she's become one of the vaunted Hawks who patrol and police the City of Elantra. Alongside the winged Aerians and the immortal Barrani, she's made a place for herself, far from the mean streets of her birth.But children are once again dying, and a dark and familiar pattern is emerging. Kaylin is ordered back into Nightshade with a partner she knows she can't trust, a Dragon lord for a companion and a device to contain her powers -- powers that no other human has. Her task is simple - find the killer, stop the murders…and survive the attentions of those who claim to be her allies!
I have to be honest, my favourite character is actually one of the secondary characters...who goes by the name of Lord Nightshade...

10 comments:

  1. Is it available yet in Australia, Orannia, or are you just teasing me??

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not available yet. It won't be published until *races off to check* 01 August 2009! Only *counts* 4 months to go!

    I just saw the cover and went 'ohhh, pretty' and had to post it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I have never heard of this book, this series, and it sounds really wonderful! That cover is wonderful, too. It reminds me of that Maxfield Parrish, "sweet light" painting style from the 1920's or whenever. You'd recognize it if you saw it - all have that magical sort of lighting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes! I love Nightshade! He's never on stage enough for me. I actually have Cast in Fury as my next TBR Challenge book. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. BTW, I just love it when I discover someone is also into a "hidden treasure" I like! The Cast series was actually featured in on of my very first posts! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  6. CJ - it's a great fantasy series! It has the slightest, just the slightest touch of romance (Kris/Renee would you agree?) but at its core it's fantasy. And Michelle West creates the most complex worlds. I would definitely say try the first book (and if you do, please let me know what you think ;)

    Renee - I love Nightshade too. He's so...ambiguous :) And no, he's not on stage enough for me either :) Ohhh, I look forward to hearing what you think of Cast in Fury! OUt of interest, have you read House War (Michelle West), about Jewel? Ohhh, good, but soooo dark!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I definitely agree. A hint of romance, but the bulk of it is fantasy. The world and the characters are fabulous. I would say easily one of the best 'true' (if that makes sense) fantasy series I've read in recent years. These are keepers for me and I will be starting my countdown for 1 August. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't read any of her other series. It's so confusing with her 3 names she writes under! I'll probably start on one of her MW or MSW series after I catch up with the Cast series.

    An author who reminds me of Michelle Sagara is Laura Anne Gillman. It's less the genre (she writes UF, with the Retrievers series) than it is the style of her writing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am not going to fall for yet another wonderful well written and tightly plotted, long running series.

    I am not.






    Seriously, I'm not.










    rats.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am not going to fall for yet another wonderful well written and tightly plotted, long running series.

    ROFLOL! I'm sorry azteclady. I know exactly what you mean. But it is a VERY well written series, with an amazing plot and fascinating vcharacters!

    Renee - I have found that her writing as Michelle West is way more complicated. Perhaps you could start with House War, which was only published last year. I've found that her later writing is a little less complex - I don't know if I could read her earlier books now...my concentration just isn't that good.

    ReplyDelete