25 April 2009

Lest We Forget

Today, 25 April, is ANZAC Day in Australia and New Zealand. ANZAC stands for the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps and on 25 April we remember those who fought at Gallipoli, Turkey, during World War I and all those who have fought and died since. It is our equivalent to the UK's Armistice Day, which we also commemorate, and the US's Memorial Day.

Eight years ago exactly I was standing at ANZAC Cove, Gallipoli, for the dawn service. My great, great-uncle (my great-grandfather's brother) fought at Gallipoli, and I was fortunate enough to meet him before he died. Standing where he had stood looking up at the cliffs lining the shore was overwhelming. The one thing that I remember most clearly from my time at Gallipoli was the cemeteries, surrounded by trees, grass and flowers, loving tended by the Turkish people and all facing out to sea...facing home.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

4 comments:

  1. Heya kechara - I can't imagine what it was like to have been to a Dawn Service at Gallipoli itself - but I was at the Cenotaph at the Domain this morning.

    I'm not sure if I'm going to post on it or not - it was a pretty moving ceremony even without the flyover they usually do (apparently, the Hercules they usually use is undergoing repairs after transporting crocodiles across The Ditch earlier in the week)

    WTTW

    me

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ANZAC services are incredibly moving...
    I've never been to the service at the Cenotaph though. Perhaps next year... I hope you didn't get too wet this morning.

    And yes, I heard about the salt-water crocodiles' wee trip :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Christine. It's a very special day...

    ReplyDelete