16 July 2009

Thoughts on Twilight

This post is inspired by Carolyn Crane's (The Thrillionth Page) 'Great Moments from Last Night's Reading' posts, Kati's (Katidom) recent post on Bound By Your Touch and Kris' (Kris 'n' Good Books) 'Maybe It's Me' posts!

Caveat: I don't mean any disrespect to either the author or her work, so I apologise in advance if I cause offence - it is not my intention to do so.

So, yesterday I reached the halfway point of Twilight (Stephanie Meyer) and I'll just burst if I don't talk about what I've read so far....so I will (talk about it that is, not burst) *grin* And yes there are spoilers in this post for anyone out there who, like me, has avoided the Twilight phenonomen to date!
Ummmm. Where to start? Not sure... Edward sparkles...sparkles...in the sun! All I can think of is one of those globes that you shake so the glitter flies everywhere. Do you know the ones I mean? If I shook him (Edward), do you think the sparkles will move? *realises post is going wildly off tangent and attempts to correct course* And I'm sure I remember people mentioning that he broods and stares at Bella...a lot! But I don't remember anyone saying that brooding is all he does... I can't understand why Bella is so enthralled by him. Yes Bella *looks at Bella* I get that Edward has the looks of a fallen angel:
I couldn't imagine how an angel could be any more glorious. There was nothing about him that could be improved upon.
But I don't think that is love IMO - it's a full-blown infatuation. And yes, I believe that is a symptom of being a teenager, although I wasn't a normal teenager by any stretch of the imagination so I've never really experienced an infatuation *grin* And I will freely admit, the rest of the book could prove me completely wrong but...what part of Edward telling you he is dangerous do you not get Bella? *realises 'the finger' is up and promptly puts it down* When did I become all parental?
Don't get me wrong, I am enjoying the book. I loved Jacob up until the point that I realised I was old enough to be his mother (has anyone else felt parental reading this book or is it just me?). But I do think it is rather....verbose (if I may be so bold). But, there are some passages that have left me beyond incredulous:
I don't mind. Please don't worry about offending me, or frightening me, or whichever. That's the way you think. I can understand, or I can try to at least. Just explain however you can.
This is a teenager? Aren't teenagers by definition never meant to understand anything? Plus, that's a very calm acceptance of the rather large purple elephant in the room! *looks back at post* Infatuation 101. Got it! Which leads too:
"You spied on me?". But somehow I couldn't infuse my voice with the proper outrage. I was flattered.
Flattered? He is spying on you, watching you sleep (and thus invading your private space? And he's done it more than once. *heads towards Oxford English Dictionary to read the definition of 'stalker' in case it has been amended recently* And then we have:
And I was filled with compassion for his suffering, even now, as he confessed his craving to take my life.
Say what? Compassion? Maybe this is just me *nods at Kris* but...WTF?

I have requested the DVD from my local library to watch tonight (or perhaps this weekend) [yes, I am insane, but I want to see 'the hair'....] and am planning to collect it after I have visited the blood suckers (I mean the Blood Donation Service) this afternoon. I find it rather amusing that I'm going to donate blood this afternoon at the same time I'm reading about vampires. And I have remembered the advice of all of you who suggested I read the book before I watch the movie - I'm hoping half an hour hooked up to an IV will see me finish it. Plus I really want to see the nurses' faces when they realise I'm reading a vampire book *grin* I'm such a rebel!

So, have you read/seen Twilight? Thoughts? And if so...should I continue with New Moon at some point?

14 comments:

  1. Funny! Orannia does 'maybe it's me'. :)

    The infactuationy side of things - but not the 'oh my god he might eat me' stuff - actually worked for me in Twilight because I thought the author conveyed the fact that Bella was a lot more mature than the usual kids her age very well. This made the love at first bite aspect more believable for me.

    As to the movie, hmmm, I had mixed feelings. I thought the Cullen family did a nice Ken and Barbie impersonation; however, my main problem was that Movie Bella was definitely not Book Bella - at least for me she wasn't. *shrugs*

    My 2c on the books (since you were so kind enough to ask):

    Twilight = Great. The only one in the series that I've reread.
    New Moon = Pretty good.
    Eclipse = Meh.
    Breaking Dawn = Blech.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny! Orannia does 'maybe it's me'. :)

    *worried* I hope that is OK?

    And I definitely agree that the author has conveyed Bella's maturity very well...but there are certain issues that I would have thought she would have reacted too...even a little :)

    And thank you for your two cents worth (although I would definitely charge more if I were you :) I am enjoying it, just in case my rant gave the wrong impression *grin*

    I will have to report back when I've seen the movie. I want to see who plays Jacob :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Twilight! Though, I'm really aware that it has some serious problems with some of the messages it sends. I never got why Edward was so much better than Jacob (yeah, I'm a Jacob fan girl.)
    However, what I think SM does so well is capture "teen girl angst" in all its self absorbed melodrama. Everything is hyperbolic, dramatic and extreme. Interesting to visit. Wouldn't want to live there. lol
    Now, I didn't actually read the series, but I listened to the audiobooks, and the reader is excellent, so the books actually went by quickly. IDK if that made a difference.
    If it helps, New Moon is my favorite of the series, but that's mostly because Jacob is in it so much! :-P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Renee :) I have to be honest, Jacob has only been in two little scenes but he completely caught my attention. But then...well...I like of like the Native American colouring :)

    And good point - everything is very dramatic. And it does help that you liked New Moon - thank you. It's actually on my TBR list, but since I'm 993rd in the library hold queue it may be a while before I read it :) But that's OK, because my TBR list is groaning under the strain *grin*

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL Orannia! So you're not liking the sparkly vampires? :( Awwwwww.

    I really enjoyed Twilight. I agree with pretty much all the points that Renee and Kris made. Bella is mature for her age; she's like a 30-year-old trapped in a teenager's body. And since Edward is a vampire, I kind of expect him to be broody and stalker-y. That part didn't really bother me, actually.

    If you don't like the book I think you will hate the movie (all the parts that are bothering you about Twilight are magnified in the movie), and I don't really know about the rest of the series. The other 3 books are basically Twilight repeated, but with vampire babies and a love triangle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry but I love this series!! And I know a lot of people didn’t love it but Breaking Dawn is my favorite in the entire series. For some reason I was able to find a lot to connect to in the series. I hated High School for the most part and those had to be some of the darkest years of my life. Bella as they say is an old soul and that kind of explains why she is so mature. SM makes it sound like she had to do a lot for her Mom and take on the adult role really early in life and that will make you grow up a lot faster.

    But if you’re not loving the series I don’t know if I would move on with it since there is so much out there that you want to read.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I very much enjoyed Twilight - it's definitely my favorite of the series. I think that I have to agree with Kris and Renee as well - Bella was definitely more mature for her age. But come on - she was still a high school student and the infatuation/love at first sight thing runs rampant in high school. Not, of course, that I'm speaking from experience. *ahem*.

    I never did watch the movie and frankly have no desire to. The actor they have portraying Edward looks like cro magnon man with that forehead and the eybrows. Yuk. I want to keep my vision of Edward in my head. :) I hope you enjoy the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kris/Renee/heidenkind/LeeAnn/Tracy - I hope you all know that I didn't mean in any way, shape or form, to dismiss or disrespect a book that you all enjoyed.

    And it's not that I'm not enjoying Twilight - I am. (I actually find the sparkles rather amusing.) I can't pinpoint the thing that has me pulling back. I obviously need to kepp on working at expressing myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, and I'm really glad that you all feel comfortable enough here to express your opinions :) That's really important to me!

    I'm currently in the middle of the baseball game...and I'm enjoying it more :) The 'others' have just appeared... Why do I get the feeling things are going to get messy?

    Tracy - I'm going to give the movie a go this weekend, but I have a feeling I'll see Cro Magnon man every time I look at Edward :) LOL! The actor looked so different in the Harry Potter movies...what happened?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hun, I wasn't offended a'tall. I reckon we're all grown up enough to accept that peeps have different opinions and responses to things. Well, okay, sometimes... a lot of the time... alright, let's be honest... the majority of the time I'm not grown up, but you get where I'm going with this. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Heh - looks like I'll be the lone voice in the wilderness then...

    I watched the Twilight movie at a goodbye party with a group of friends who were unashamedly and openly watching it to mock it; and while I had a whale of a time joining in said mocking, I truly feel that if I'd been watching it in any other situation I would have walked away from it feeling as though that was two hours of my life I could NEVER get back.

    Now, granted, the movie is not the book, but based on the movie I have no desire whatsoever to even try the book. That being said, tastes do differ, and I know a lot of people truly love the Twilight series (as clearly shown by the comments above :-) ) There's nothing wrong with that at all - it's just that between the teen angsting, the sparkling and the stalking, it's just not a Starfire kind of a thing!

    WTTW - me

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, and as an addendum, kechara, this turned up today on ROFLRAZZI - thought you might like it: http://roflrazzi.com/?p=18570

    ReplyDelete
  13. I first read Twilight in 2006, which was way before all the hype that's surrounded the series in the last year or so, and I do think that has a lot to do with my affection for this novel and series. Although I was so disappointed with Breaking Dawn that it kind of soured the whole "I love this series!" feeling for me. I think it's very likely that if I read Twilight today after reading and hearing so much hype and or criticism over the series in the media and or on blogs, I would have the same interpretation on it all as you.

    Anyway, Jacob is probably my favorite character in the entire series. He's the only of the "triumvirate" that stays true to his character and actually develops into someone even more notable by the end. Of course, that's just my humble opinion. So considering Jacob has such a prominent role in New Moon, you should definitely read it! And see the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you Christine! I have to say, I just adore Jacob so am looking forward to the movie. I have the book at home and hope to start it once I finish my current read :)

    ReplyDelete