09 September 2009

Thoughts on New Moon

Please see my Thoughts on Twilight for the inspirations behind this post.

Caveat: I don't mean any disrespect to either the author or her work, so I apologise in advance if I cause offence - it is not my intention to do so.

So, on Sunday I finished reading New Moon (Stephenie Meyer) and I'll just burst if I don't talk about it....so I will (talk about it that is, not burst) *grin* And yes there are spoilers in this post for anyone out there who, like me, has avoided the Twilight phenomenon to date!

Ummmm. Where to start? I definitely enjoyed this book (New Moon) far more than Twilight...mostly because there was a lot more Jacob and next to no Edward. I know, I know, according to almost everyone that is the wrong way around, but I really like Jacob *grin* and I'm really beginning to not like Edward. For me, the reason is simple: Edward and Bella's relationship isn't an equal one, which strikes way too close to home for my liking. And I'm not talking about intellect or money or even life experience (because there are obvious differences between Edward and Bella if we consider those parameters in isolation), but about control and...compromise.

For me, each partner in a relationship has to remember that their significant other is their own person. Each needs to listen to and respect the other. And for this to work there needs to be compromise. However, this seems to be all but lacking in Edward and Bella's relationship. Take, for example, Edward's (and the Cullens') decision to leave Forks (Bella). Edward is supposedly leaving for Bella and yet he won't allow her to voice an opinion on the decision. What happened to discussing the situation? There is no discussion.
'You're no good for me, Bella...I'm no good for you.'
'You promised. In Phoenix, you promised that you would stay-'
'As long as that was best for you,' he interrupted to correct me.
Edward's POV simply seems to be 'this is what I believe is right, this is what will be done', regardless of what Bella wants. And it's not like Edward tells Bella the real reasons...he simply tells her he doesn't love her and walks away.

Now, I know at the end of the book Edward explains that he only left in the way that he did because Bella wouldn't accept him leaving any other way but...it's not like she would know where he was going or how to find him. For goodness sake, he can run faster than her! So he departs, and leaves her in pieces. Enter Jacob stage left. *SIGH* Sweet, thoughtful Jacob who doesn't want anything except for Bella to be happy.
'It's just that, I know you're unhappy a lot. And, maybe it doesn't help anything, but I wanted you to know that I'm always here. I won't ever let you down - I promise that you can always count on me. Wow, that does sound corny. But you know that, right? That I would never, ever hurt you?'
It's obvious he likes Bella (I don't think I'm giving anything away by saying that), but he doesn't push...nor does he try and control her...he's simply 'there' for her. I really like that.
'Yeah, I'll always be your friend,' he said gruffly. 'No matter what you love'.
What you love...LOL! *grumble grumble* Yes, I will admit that I'm biased because I like Jacob and I just don't get why people like Edward. *looks sideways* What conflict of interest?

And when Edward comes back...heaven forbid that Bella should be allowed to have anything to do with Jacob, her best friend! Oh, no, he's a werewolf... Twilight fact: werewolves hunt vampires, not humans. And yes, young werewolves have 'control' issues, but Jacob demonstrates incredible restraint. But will Edward trust Bella's judgement, and let her see her friend? Noooooo!
'Jake...' I took a step toward him. I wanted to wrap my arms around his waist and erase the expression of misery on his face.
Edward pulled me back again, his arms restraining instead of defending.
'It's okay,' I promised him, looking up to read his face with trust in my eyes. He would understand.
His eyes were unreadable, his face expressionless. Cold. 'No, it's not'.
I do believe in Eclipse (although I haven't read it so don't quote me on this) Bella has to sneak down to the reservation to see Jacob...her best friend! And again, that struck way to close to home for my liking. IMO the word 'Edward' is fast becoming synonymous with 'obsessive, controlling stalker'. All Edward does is manipulate Bella...it's all about what he wants, and what he thinks is best. No equality.

Now, I get that Edward is obviously Bella's soul mate, but...1) you don't focus on one thing to the exclusion of everything else - it's not healthy. And 2) since it's obvious to anyone that Bella and Edward are soul mates....why put Jacob through all that heart ache? Yes, Ms Meyer, I'm looking at you. It's so...unfair!

*takes deep breath*

So, have you read New Moon? Thoughts? And yes, I will be reading Eclipse...although I need to get my TBR pile down first. Now I'm just hanging out for the New Moon movie...and the wolves *grin*

11 comments:

  1. I was so angry for what Edward did to Bella, but then Bella found the wonders of Jacob. And then she had an excuse to go to Rome.
    Hurrah!

    Wait till Eclipse and the hot teeni bopper tent menage in the mountains.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you KB! I'm so glad I'm not the only one who was mad. *looks at post* Perhaps incensed would be more accurate...

    Wait till Eclipse and the hot teeni bopper tent menage in the mountains.

    Whaaaat? No? You're so kidding, right? You can't tempt me off my cunning plan to reduce my TBR list by saying comments like that. It's not fair. It's like...a red flag to a bull...

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL @ tent menage.

    I loved Eclipse..New Moon was just ok for me..but I'm a big Edward fan and so with him gone..

    But I still think it sucked that he left. That was kind of dumb.

    My advice - read Eclipse and pretend it is the end of the series. Breaking Dawn is not good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the heads up on Eclipse Mandi. I've heard rumours about Breaking Dawn that I'm not sure I won't confirmed :)

    OK, can someone please tell me what is referred to by the 'tent menage' before I explode? Please?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved the tent menage. That was the most memorable scene in the whole series... well that and the blood spatter when Renesmee gnawed her way out of her mama's stomach. *shudder*

    Anywaaaay, it sounds like you're really getting into the books, Orannia. :) What Edward did to Bella bothered me a lot, too, but you have to realized that Edward is the alpha male in this scenario (as unlikely as it seems, I know), so there's never any 'discussion.' He does improve on that later on, though. Secondly, he's an all-or-nothing sort of personality, so once he commits to a course of action, he just does it single-mindedly.

    I love Jacob, but how Meyers wrapped up the whole Jacob subplot in Breaking Dawn was RIDICULOUS. But we can rehash that when you get to it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. PS~No, we can't tell you about the tent menage; you're just going to have to read the book! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. PS~No, we can't tell you about the tent menage; you're just going to have to read the book! ;)

    Before I read your last comment heidenkind I was thinking to myself 'None of you are going to tell me about the tent menage, are you?'. I even tried Wikipedia but it didn't tell me more than I already knew...there's a tent involved!

    And thank you for clearing up Edward's mindset. He definitely has an all-or-nothing mindset IMO :) I guess I've never really looked at Edward as an alpha... *wonders if New Moon should be reread but realises Edward isn't really in it even if his reach is long*

    Oh, and you're so not helping me stick to my cunning plan. I was planning on returning the Twilight books to my friend (including Eclipse and Breaking Dawn) but am wondering if I should hold on to them (because I'm still way down the library hold list :) just in case my willpower is feeble...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorries. :) I wouldn't return them to your friend if I was you, though... at least not until you read them. Or until she mentions it, whichever comes last. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have no comments on the books (haven't read them and at the moment am not tempted to either), but I had to comment on the cunning plan...


    orannia, sweetie, cunning plans are made to be tweaked, didn't you know? :wink:

    ReplyDelete
  10. heidenkind - you'll probably be pleased to know then that I have kept hold of Eclipse and Breaking Dawn (but returned New Moon). You're all too persuasive for your own good *grin*

    azteclady - LOL! I've been trying not to tweak it, but I broke this morning and borrowed a book from the library that sounds very like The Doctrine of Labyrinths series! It's called HaveMercy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jacob is the only main character whose character is consistent and develops to any depth throughout all four books. The only good parts of Breaking Dawn are the chapters that are told from his POV.

    ReplyDelete