27 October 2009

Juliet Marillier

Near the end of last year, the indomitable and lovely Thea from The Book Smugglers reviewed Juliet Marillier's Heir to Sevenwaters.
The chieftains of Sevenwaters have long been custodians of a vast and mysterious forest. Human and Otherworld dwellers have existed there side by side, sharing a wary trust. Until the spring when Lady Aisling of Sevenwaters finds herself expecting another child—a new heir to Sevenwaters. Then the family’s joy turns to despair when the baby is taken from his room and something…unnatural is left in his place. To reclaim her newborn brother, Clodagh must enter the shadowy Otherworld and confront the powerful prince who rules there.
The summary and Thea's amazing review of Heir to Sevenwaters had me completely hooked, and the book was promptly added to my TBR list, where, I'm embarrassed to admit, it languished until Saturday...yes, the Saturday just been. The great thing about my TBR list (which to all intents and purposes is my library hold list) is that eventually each book on it arrives at the top (or else the hold expires [the down side]). So, I picked up the book on Saturday and started reading...and kept reading...and kept reading. This book has everything - ancient Irish history and mythology, adventure, emotional introspection and romance! I found the following statement on Juliet Marillier's writing on Wikipedia that struck a chord:
[Marillier] also says that she usually bases a story on two elements: what the main character learns about herself and her world that makes this adventure personally significant; and the bigger picture, showing this character's role in something outside herself, such as saving a community or forging a peace between two warring tribes. The first idea reinforces the second, making the writing both personal and realistic.
And even better, I discovered that Juliet Marillier was born and raised in New Zealand (although I believe she is currently living in Perth, Australia), so by reading her book I've done my good deed for New Zealand Book Month (because I can't really count Blaze of Memory as it isn't being released until next week *grin*).

So, have you read any of Julliet Marillier's books and, if so, which one of her books should I read next? I was thinking of reading the first book in the Sevenwaters series - Daughter of the Forest (I know, I'm evil for reading out of order - please don't shoot me :) but, luckily, there are so many books to gloom *happy dance* Now, back to the book *grin*

11 comments:

  1. Actually, Heir to Sevenwaters isn't part of the Sevenwaters trilogy, although it's set on the same background and some of its characters. But it's a stand-alone book (ok, Song of the Island is comming up and that's a follow up). So yes, you should read the Sevenwaters trilogy now. I think its the best way to get to know Juliet Marillier's work and I'm sure you'll love it. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Juliet Marillier is on my radar lately as well. I'll definitely be reading her work. Between The Smugglers, Angie from Angieville, and now you.... that's all the endorsement I need!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Mariposa - my bad :) And I'm rapt to hear that there will be a sequel to Heir to Sevenwaters - I love Clodagh and Cathal! I think I'll work my way through the Sevenwaters trilogy - they sound great - and then branch out :) *claps hands* I can't wait!

    YAH Christine! I can't wait to hear what you think :) I'm can't believe I never discovered Juliet Marillier until Thea's review and horrified that the book languished on my TBR list for so long! It's exceptionally good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read Daughter of the Forest and it didn't really do anything for me. I don't remember why, though--it was a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm. Thank you heidenkind :) Good to know. That's a whole post in and of itself IMO - why can't you [the plural you BTW *grin*] put your finger on why a book doesn't work...(hopefully that makes sense).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I was just reading their review yesterday and added it to my list of want to buy! Will definitely get it now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aren't the booksmuggler's bad for your tbr? And I love it ;)

    Have not heard of this one..but will definitely check out Juliet Marillier!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Mariana - *sings* It's a small world' *grin* I look forward to hearing what you think of it Mariana. I have Daughter of the Forest on my TBR list, but I have a few books I really have to read first. Am tempted to go mad over Christmas :)

    Mandi - *nods* definitely! The Books Smugglers also introduced me to Kristen (Fantasy Cafe) and Sarah Monette, so while I love them they are definitely bad for my TBR list *grin*

    ReplyDelete