07 November 2009

DNS

Invariably, amongst all the books that we read, one...or two (or occasionally more *grin* because they do seem to travel in packs, or is that just me?) will not be finished. They are thus labelled 'Did Not Finish' or DNF books. But what about those books that we don't even start? And no, I'm not talking about the books that we never even pick up but those that we pick up with the intention of reading. Those books that have been languishing on our TBR list/piles/towers for what feels like forever, but when we finally get around to reading them...and pick them up to do just that...they don't appeal. I've labelled these 'Did Not Start' or DNS books.

And that leads me to something else - book guilt. Earlier this week, the lovely Stacy from Stacy's Place wrote a fascinating post entitled Living With Reading Envy. And I freely admit to reading envy. Not with regard to ARCs, because I am always in awe of the amazing reviews generated and I know I could not replicate them (quality wise and in a timely manner). More in the sheer number of books that various bloggers seem to read within a month. And while replying to Stacy's post it got me to thinking of reading guilt... A perfect example for me is Heir to Sevenwaters (Juliet Mariller). After reading the review by the incomparable Thea from The Book Smugglers in November 2008 (yes, 2008!), I added it to my TBR list. And there it languished until just recently. And I feel incredibly guilty about all the wonderful books languishing on my TBR list that I want to read...

So, do you come across DNS books and do you experience book guilt?

8 comments:

  1. I'm a pretty moody reader, so once I start reading I pretty much force myself to keep going until I decide I like or don't like the book--otherwise I would NEVER start a book. Especially with my TBR pile the way it is now. :P

    I do admit to envying people who can read a book a day. I wish I could do that--I used to! Not anymore, though. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure envious of the amount some people manage to read. It's so hard for me these days.

    I love finding an author that I can enjoy and still read at a good speed. I just finished Blaze of Memory by Nalini Singh and loved it both for the story and the fact I read it easily.

    After it took me four days to read a category romance (and one I was enjoying too) I was beginning to despair about ever reading a book quickly again. And there are so many books out there to read.

    I don't know if it counts as DNS books, but I go through my "books I want to read" list every so often and take off the things I no longer feel like reading. The problem (or pleasure) is that they always get replaced by something else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL heidenkind. I actually had a DNS book yesterday. I had heard great things about it, reserved it from the library but when I actually picked it up....not for me. So, I returned it today. And yes, a book a day would be lovely!

    Kerry - YAH for reading Blaze of Memory so smoothly! I'm actually going to sit on it...I don't feel like reading it ATM. Not sure why. And yes, I 'trim' my TBR list too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jerri Smith Ready's Voice of Crow is like that for me. I call them "not now" books. I know they are good ones, but just not suiting my mood at the moment. they go back to the tbr shelf to wait for the right time.
    I also have those books that, while I really want to read them, they just languish on the tbr never even opened.
    Actually, Juliette Marrillier's Daughter of the Forrest is one of those books for me. Also, Kushiel's Dart. Broken Wing used to be, but we crossed that one off the list, didn't we? ;-)

    Those 2 really bug me because I've heard so many great things about them, but they also overwhelm me since they seem like such epic stories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely have the guilt! I have so many books in my TBR pile that I'm afraid I'll never get to. I'd love to, but it's hard to find the time. The next time I move, I know I'll end up donating my unread books to friends and family so at least someone will get to enjoy them and I won't have to lug them around in moving boxes :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Renee - I like the name 'Not Now Books'. It's perfect :) Blaze of Memory is a 'Not Now Book' ATM. I'm not sure why exactly, but I know if I read it I won't enjoy it as much as I know I could (if that makes sense). So it's waiting :) Voices of the Crow I've never heard of. Daughter of the Forest on the other hand is on my TBR list. I was thinking I'd read it (and Corambis :) over the Christmas holiday period.

    And yes, Kushiel's Dart is one of those books for me too!

    And yes, we did cross off Broken Wing! That challenge was fun actually...

    Katie - I have that same fear! Currently, all my books are in boxes until I can buy a house. The first thing I'm going to do (well, apart from insulation and ventilation) is build a library! I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG, I "not now'd" Blaze, as well! However, I think it was because of an audiobook I was listening to. I'm not liking the heroine, and for some reason, it was affecting the way I felt about the characters (Katya, esp) in Blaze. I figured I'd just put it down until I could read it without being influenced.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Renee - SNAP *grin* I haven't actually started on BOM yet, but my reasons are kind of similar. I'm back on my soapbox about 'perfect' heroines and the thought of reading about the talented Katya is currently beyond me. I just know I would spend the book with the resentment card hanging overhead and the fault button running hot (picking at myself). So, I've put it (BOM) to one side and am reading Coyote's Mate and then after that Promises In Death. Then I'll see where I am at. Am sure we will both get to it eventually :)

    ReplyDelete