26 November 2009

M/M Meme

The spectacular (I hope that was a good word to utilize for you Kris?) Kris from Kris 'n' Good Books created a meme based around m/m books and I was tagged by the lovely Mandi from Smexy Books to participate.

I have a confession. I have actually been dithering about posting my answers to this meme... Why? Well, the third question of the meme asks whether I am 'out' as a reader...and posting this meme pretty much answers that question in the affirmative. The dithering is because I worry about exposing something personal about myself...not literally but figuratively... However, the name of this blog is Walkabout, and the reason why I started this blog was to help me learn to express myself...and not be afraid when doing so! So *deep breath* here are my answers to the meme:
Rules:

1. Answer all the questions below in either the comments here or post it on your own site. If you post it on your own site you have to come back and give the link here so I/Kris can mosey on over and see if you have a sticky beak.

2. You have to tag two other people once your done and pester them relentlessly until they do the meme too.

3. Instead of a meme image thing you have to post a cookie, preferably a twofer. It is an m/m meme after all. ;)
Questions:

1. How long have you been reading GLBTQ fiction?
About 1 year...I think.

2. What was the first book you read in this genre?
I honestly thought I couldn't remember...and then it came to me! The first book in this genre that I read was Mind F*ck (Manna Francis). What an amazing story! I'm hoping to purchase the fifth book in this series shortly. (I guess that tells you I like this author :)

3. Are you 'out' as a reader?
Ah, I am now *grin* Actually, apart from online, I think I'm out with only *counts* five people.

4. eBooks, print or both?
I prefer print books, but that is because I currently have to read eBooks on my computer, which isn't how it should be IMO.

5. Do you buy direct from publishers or from secondary sellers?
The few books I have bought (and that number seems to be increasing :) I have mainly purchased from secondary sellers.

6. Prove you're a Book Slut. How many books would you say you buy a week?
Ahhh...none. Although I have bought two books this month - one print book and one eBook. Honestly, I very rarely buy books (I all but live at my local library), but that may change when I purchase my multi-task device (AKA the iTouch).

7. Are you a cover, blurb or excerpt buyer?
Blurb and excerpt...I'm a cautious purchaser of book, so I want to minimize the risk (of buying a dud) as much as possible by doing a lot of research. And yes, that means it takes me ages to buy anything *grin*

8. Yeah, you read reviews, but do you actually take notice of them?
It depends on who the reviewer is and how fairly their review the book. I don't want a gushy review, I want an honest review.

9. Who's your fave publisher?
I don't have one.

10. What about authors? Your top two only!!
Hmmmm. Ginn Hale - I adored Wicked Gentleman. And Manna Francis. Oh, and Sean Michael. I know, that's three...did I say I could count? And, before you all start pointing out all the amazing authors I have mentioned, I should point out that I haven't read many m/m books...yet... And yes, feel free to point me in the right direction *grin*

11. Is there a sub-genre you particularly dis/like?
No. If the characters are good, I'm there.

12. Short or long?
Long. Novellas leave me wanting...more *grin*

13. Anything turn you off about m/m or is all just glorious smut to you?
There are certain things I'm not a fan of, but I'm not spilling the beans!

14. Finish this sentence. You know it's m/m twu wuv when...
He turns gay for you. Sorry, couldn't resist :)

15. What trope or theme are you heartily sick of in m/m romance?
Nothing as yet.... It's early days!

16. If you could choose any 3 characters for a m/m/m who would they be?
Hmmm. This is hard. There are so many characters I don't know yet. Who should I be considering?

17. What new GLBTQ release are you most hanging out for right now?
Strange Fortune (Josh Lanyon). I read Mandi's review - fantasy plus m/m romance = I can't wait!

18. What GLBTQ book has completely blown you away this year?
Bent (Sean Michael). It just...resonated.

19. What do you think we'll see more of in m/m romance in 2010?
I've just started dipping my toes into this genre, so I've barely scratched the surface of what is available. So, your guess is no doubt better than mine *grin*

20. Don't you agree that author Josh Lanyon should kill off arsehole character Jake Riordan?
Jake who? *grin* I'm kidding. I've heard of the Adrian English books...now I just have to read them!

Tagging? No one....but feel free to tag yourself *grin* Oh, and a cookie. Most of my cookies I have obtained via Kris!

9 comments:

  1. I have yet to read a m/m romance. The ones on #romfail frightened me. ;P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't been to #romfail before heidenkind...but there are definitely some very well written m/m romance novels out there. I'm not an expert in the genre though.

    Can anyone recommend a good m/m romance for heidenkind to try?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! Finally, I manage to comment.

    I bought three more books tonight, because I am ridiculous. But they were all in the name of research, I swear (all Down Under, and you know why if you remember our conversation of the other day). That's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it anyway. :)

    If I was to recommend books to someone, provided they liked historicals I would point them toward Charlie Cochrane's Cambridge Fellows mysteries series. They're not very explicit (and so not overly confronting), but they are charming and funny. For non-historical stuff, I think Josh Lanyon is a good place to start.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI Meredith *waves*

    Can I just say I loved your novella in the Care & Feeding of Demons anthology *grin* And yes, I remember why you would want those books...and I guess in the name of research passes muster...just *grin*

    I must keep an eye out for the Charlie Cochrane's Cambridge Fellows series - I remember you mentioning them. And Josh Lanyon is definitely on my 'to try' list :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spectacular definitely suits me, but it also suits you, Orannia. Look at how awesome you are for posting this regardless of your concerns. Go you. :)

    Sean Michael's Hammer series is very good. Hey, did you ever get and read Rough Canvas?? I'm interested to know what you thought of that because, as you know, that is an absolute fave of mine.


    heidenkind, as Meredith mentioned, if you are looking for something that is non-explicit Charlie Cochrane's historicals or Josh's Adrien English mystery series are good places to start.

    Others are Sean Kennedy's contemp Tigers & Devils and a YA spec fic by R W Day called A Strong & Sudden Thaw. For something a little more explicit and a bloody good romance you can't go past Caught Running by Madeleine Urban & Abigail Roux.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Kris. And I thought spectacular was the perfect word to describe you *grin*

    I'm really enjoying Sean Michael's Hammer series, although Bent is definitely my favourite. It just...clicked with me. I really like (and can relate to :) Jim! No, I haven't read Rough Canvas. When I read the excerpt I had the same reaction to it that I did to Bent; Joey Hill guest posted at Dear Author and I found her post fascinating, so went to read the excerpt for Rough Canvas and...it was like being hit by a tonne of bricks : Unfortunately, becaues I own it (yes, in print form) it keeps slipping off my radar. I will definitely read it over Christmas though! And then we can discuss :)

    Ohhh, I need to hunt down the books you listed! *hubs hands in glee*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey!! I second Tigers and Devils by Sean Kennedy... FANTASTIC book.

    Also, KA Mithcell, JL Langley, Jet Mykles (Heaven Sent series especially), Josh Lanyon, LB Gregg, James Buchanan, Madeleine Urban & Abigail Roux, Keira Andrews, ZA Maxfield and Jordan Castillo Price are my auto-buys for MM Romance. These are all excellent authors.

    I'll have to check out Sean Michael now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Kris and Meredith. :)

    Orannia, you really should get onto twitter and catch #romfail at some point. It's not always entertaining (sometimes it's just painful), but I catch it whenever I can.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Mariana! WOW! That is some list! I'm going to be a busy gal reading....YAH! *grin*

    heidenkind - if you do try a m/m romance, I look forward to hearing what you think. And once the new computer arrives, I may just hunt down #romfail. Thank you for the heads up :)

    ReplyDelete