I have a confession. I have actually been dithering about posting my answers to this meme... Why? Well, the third question of the meme asks whether I am 'out' as a reader...and posting this meme pretty much answers that question in the affirmative. The dithering is because I worry about exposing something personal about myself...not literally but figuratively... However, the name of this blog is Walkabout, and the reason why I started this blog was to help me learn to express myself...and not be afraid when doing so! So *deep breath* here are my answers to the meme:
1. Answer all the questions below in either the comments here or post it on your own site. If you post it on your own site you have to come back and give the link here so I/Kris can mosey on over and see if you have a sticky beak.
2. You have to tag two other people once your done and pester them relentlessly until they do the meme too.
3. Instead of a meme image thing you have to post a cookie, preferably a twofer. It is an m/m meme after all. ;)
1. How long have you been reading GLBTQ fiction?
About 1 year...I think.
2. What was the first book you read in this genre?
I honestly thought I couldn't remember...and then it came to me! The first book in this genre that I read was Mind F*ck (Manna Francis). What an amazing story! I'm hoping to purchase the fifth book in this series shortly. (I guess that tells you I like this author :)
3. Are you 'out' as a reader?
Ah, I am now *grin* Actually, apart from online, I think I'm out with only *counts* five people.
4. eBooks, print or both?
I prefer print books, but that is because I currently have to read eBooks on my computer, which isn't how it should be IMO.
5. Do you buy direct from publishers or from secondary sellers?
The few books I have bought (and that number seems to be increasing :) I have mainly purchased from secondary sellers.
6. Prove you're a Book Slut. How many books would you say you buy a week?
Ahhh...none. Although I have bought two books this month - one print book and one eBook. Honestly, I very rarely buy books (I all but live at my local library), but that may change when I purchase my multi-task device (AKA the iTouch).
7. Are you a cover, blurb or excerpt buyer?
Blurb and excerpt...I'm a cautious purchaser of book, so I want to minimize the risk (of buying a dud) as much as possible by doing a lot of research. And yes, that means it takes me ages to buy anything *grin*
8. Yeah, you read reviews, but do you actually take notice of them?
It depends on who the reviewer is and how fairly their review the book. I don't want a gushy review, I want an honest review.
9. Who's your fave publisher?
I don't have one.
10. What about authors? Your top two only!!
Hmmmm. Ginn Hale - I adored Wicked Gentleman. And Manna Francis. Oh, and Sean Michael. I know, that's three...did I say I could count? And, before you all start pointing out all the amazing authors I have mentioned, I should point out that I haven't read many m/m books...yet... And yes, feel free to point me in the right direction *grin*
11. Is there a sub-genre you particularly dis/like?
No. If the characters are good, I'm there.
12. Short or long?
Long. Novellas leave me wanting...more *grin*
13. Anything turn you off about m/m or is all just glorious smut to you?
There are certain things I'm not a fan of, but I'm not spilling the beans!
14. Finish this sentence. You know it's m/m twu wuv when...
He turns gay for you. Sorry, couldn't resist :)
15. What trope or theme are you heartily sick of in m/m romance?
Nothing as yet.... It's early days!
16. If you could choose any 3 characters for a m/m/m who would they be?
Hmmm. This is hard. There are so many characters I don't know yet. Who should I be considering?
17. What new GLBTQ release are you most hanging out for right now?
Strange Fortune (Josh Lanyon). I read Mandi's review - fantasy plus m/m romance = I can't wait!
18. What GLBTQ book has completely blown you away this year?
Bent (Sean Michael). It just...resonated.
19. What do you think we'll see more of in m/m romance in 2010?
I've just started dipping my toes into this genre, so I've barely scratched the surface of what is available. So, your guess is no doubt better than mine *grin*
20. Don't you agree that author Josh Lanyon should kill off arsehole character Jake Riordan?
Jake who? *grin* I'm kidding. I've heard of the Adrian English books...now I just have to read them!
Tagging? No one....but feel free to tag yourself *grin* Oh, and a cookie. Most of my cookies I have obtained via Kris!