This challenge was inspired by the lovely Heidenkind from Heidenkind's Hideaway, who has recently joined the Mixology Challenge, and a discussion I had earlier this year....somewhere.
Tis the season for Book Challenges! And since it's the season I thought I would...play *grin* So, I hearby bring you:The Big Book Challenge
Oh and when I say big I mean really big. This big: *stretches hands* After all, it's The Big Book Challenge! And yes, I'm referring to size. In this challenge, size really does matter. You see, there are certain big books out 'there' that I have been avoiding...because of their size. They are so big I'm afraid they will eat my alive! *hides under bed* So, I've decided 2010 is the year to change all that. Hence The Big Book Challenge was born.The challenge rules are simple:
1) Read a big book, and by a big book I mean a book with more than 500 pages, before the end of 2010.
2) A review is not required (although I'm going to attempt a post detailing my thoughts on the book, or the reasons why I didn't finish it *grin*).
3) The big book can be from any fiction genre (e.g. fantasy, romance, science fiction). It can even be non-fiction.4) No penalties if the book isn't read by the end of 2010 (because this is meant to be fun).
5) The book can be changed at any time! (Flexibility is important IMO :)
6) You can join at any time throughout the year!
Right, confession time. I have been avoiding Kushiel's Dart (Jacqueline Carey). It's....quite big. So, that's the big book I've decided to try and read in 2010. So, what big book have you been avoiding?
The participants to date are as follows:
- orannia (Kushiel's Dart [Jacqueline Carey])
- Kerry (Ship of Destiny [Robin Hobb])
- Kristen (Kushiel's Chosen [Jacqueline Carey])
- Mariana (Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows [JK Rowling])
- Heidenkind (TBC)
- Carolyn Crane (Dune [Frank Herbert])
- Hilcia (Naamah's Kiss [Jacqueline Carey])
- Kris (The Name of the Wind [Patrick Rothfuss])
- Renee (TBC)
- Christine (Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows [JK Rowling])
- Leslie (Outlander [Diana Gabaldon])
- starfirenz (Drums of Autumn or The Fiery Cross [Diana Gabaldon] or Kushiel's Scion [Jacqueline Carey])
- sausconys-books (A Plague of Angels [Sheri S Tepper])
- Ag (Lord of the Rings [JRR Tolkein])
Edited to add: Rule 4 and the image. And I know the image seems...unusual, and the word 'big' makes me think of seven league boots, which makes me think of Howl's Moving Castle (Diana Wynne Jones), hence the image *grin*
Edited again to add: Rules 5 & 6 and to update the current list of participants! And maybe it's just me but I'm beginning to see a pattern in the books chosen - Ms Carey and Ms Gabaldon both appear to write quite large books *grin*