28 December 2009

Thus Endth The First Year

And thus (well, almost *grin*) endth the first year of my Walkabout. Where to start? Firstly, and most importantly, this first year online would not have been as it was without your input and support. I am very fortunate to have meet you all!

In my first post of 2009 entitled Walkabout I made two resolutions:

1) To feel comfortable in my own skin (not just physically, but also emotionally and mentally)

2) To find out what makes me happy and what inspires me

I think there has been some progress made with regard to these resolutions, but at times it does feel like I've climbed a hill only to discover the rather large mountain lurking behind it. *shrug* Only in my wildest dreams did I think my Walkabout would be easy...or fast.

With regard to books, I am happy to say that 2009 has been a year of discovery! I have been introduced to two new-to me authors that have completely blown me away:

* Juliet Marillier - I adored Heir to Sevenwaters and am looking forward to delving into the Sevenwaters trilogy, beginning with Daughter of the Forest in the New Year

* Sarah Monette - The Doctrine of Labyrinths is now one of my (if not the) all-time favourite series (and I still haven't read the fourth and final book!)

Special mentions must also go to authors Ginn Hale, CS Harris, Jaida Jones & Danielle Bennett, Deanna Raybourn and Julia Spencer-Fleming, whose books I fell in love with this year. (I am eagerly awaiting the next book from each of them!) I was also introduced to the m/m romance subgenre in 2009, and I'm looking forward to expanding my horizons in this subgenre in 2010, starting with ('finally' I hear some of you say) Josh Lanyon's Adrian English series *grin*

This year I completed The 2009 Support Your Local Library Challenge by borrowing and reading 50 books from my local library. And yes, I'm planning to join this challenge next year (which I know is sort of cheating as I do borrow most of my books from the library) and attempt at least two other challenges (I know, I'm really stretching myself *grin*), including my very own Big Book Challenge. More on that next year!

As to what 2010 will bring I am unsure...but I am looking forward to walking it...

16 comments:

  1. Did I just read Josh Lanyon? ;)

    I very much like your idea of a Walkabout...those two resolutions are ones I think everyone could work on every year :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh well, there are always mountains there! Congrats on your progress. And oh, oh, you remind me I have to get on that Monette series!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mandi - you did indeed. I am hoping to purchase my multi-purpose device TOMORROW and then eBooks beware! First stop will be the Adrian English series...I can't wait as I've heard so much about Jake...I mean...the books *grin* And thank you. Both resolutions are last year's as well...they are (or maybe I am :) a WIP!

    CJ - thank you! Oh, yes, the Doctrine of Labyrinths is mindblowingly good. If you do read them, I look forward to hearing what you think!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since I also love Sarah Monette, it sounds like I need to read something by Juliette Marillier in 2010. Glad you became a big fan of Monette this year - it's so much fun to discover new authors that blow you away!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kristen - if you do read any of Juliet Marillier's books, I'd love to know what you think. Thea reviewed Heir to Sevenwaters at the end of last year - it was that review that made me add the book to my TBR list :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! on your progress... I'll be adding the authors to my stack of TBR. I need to work on 2010 budget of books :)

    Definitely read Josh Lanyon's series. It is FANTASTIC... love those guys :)

    Looking forward to the Big Book Challenge.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like a very fine first year!
    You have some really wonderful discoveries for 2009: Monette, Hale, Jones/Bennett, Spencer-Fleming are some of my all time favorites.
    I hope to get to Marillier in 2010!
    Oh, Adrien . . . I'm still in post-Dark Tide high . . .

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on your progress, orannia! You had a fine year! I still have Rayborne in my TBB/TBR pile & hope to read her work in 2010! Marillier is also on my list of authors for next year... thanks for adding that one to my list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mariana - thank you! And Happy New Year to you too! Oh, the Big Book Challenge! The 900-page Kushiel's Dart has me worried! *panic*

    Thank you Renee! Am definitely looking forward to my second year. And I can't wait to meet Adrian English...and the infamous Jake :)

    Hilcia - thank you. Oh, Deanna Raybourn's Lady Julia Grey books are fantastic IMO! And so are Juliet Marillier's books. Daughter of the Forest is next on my TBR pile :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Orannia, you got me reading Juliet Marillier and while I may have only read one so far (Daughter of the Forest), she is now a serious force in my TBR pile. I have the other three Sevenwaters books, Wildwood Dancing and Heart's Blood all waiting for a read.

    You've also got me signed up to your Big Book Challenge and I hope to read at least one of the ones waiting on the TBR next year.

    You've made a great start in the bloggin world. Good on you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. (((Kerry))) Thank you so much. I know that my year - not just online but offline too - would have been a lot harder without your support. Am I'm rapt that you like Juliet Marillier's books - I can't wait to read Daughter of the Blood - and that you've signed up for the Big Book Challenge. It's going to be fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm a huge Marillier fan! I'm really enjoying her current series (trilogy) set in pre-Roman Scotland.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nicola - I have a confession. I've just put Daughter of the Forest down and admitted defeat. I'm just not in the right place for it ATM. It's back on my TBR list though, because I am very sure it's me and not the book!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well, I did like the first one of that series the very best. And her stories are dense, you *do* have to be in the right mood. They're kind of a Project. You might try the Bridei chronicles, they're slightly less weighty. And she has at least on YA out that I've been meaning to get around to.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you Nicola! Will add the Bridei Chronicles to the TBR list :)

    ReplyDelete