31 January 2010

Thoughts on Eclipse (Part II)

Please see my Thoughts on Eclipse (Part I) for the inspirations behind this post.

Caveat: I don't mean any disrespect to either the author or her work, so I apologise in advance if I cause offence - it is not my intention to do so. Also, I will admit to a conflict of interest - a preference (probably not the strongest word I could have chosen, but I'm sticking with it :) for Jacob (versus Edward), but I will attempt (attempt being the operative word mind :) to not let said preference influence my post...
So, earlier today I finished reading Eclipse. Ummmm. Where to start? I definitely enjoyed Eclipse more than Twilight, but perhaps not quite as much as New Moon. Since I waxed lyrical (if you can call it that :) on the first two-thirds of Eclipse yesterday, I will keep this post short and sweet. To that end, I have a confession. I cried...Yes, the ending (written from Jacob's POV) made me cry. Actually, it left me feeling like my heart had been ripped out and thrown away:
I could feel their worry in my head, try hard as I might to drown it in the sound of the wind and the forest. This was what I hated most - seeing myself through their eyes, worse now that their eyes were full of pity... If only I could stop hearing, stop seeing what they saw. My head was so crowded, but the only way to be alone again was to be human, and I couldn't stand the pain... If the silence in my head lasted, I would never go back. I wouldn't be the first one to choose this form over the other. Maybe, if I ran far enough away, I would never have to hear again...
I'm also still attempting to come to terms with the revelation that Bella is in love with Jacob and that he is also her soul mate:
'No.' Jacob shook his head. 'I'm exactly right for you, Bella. It would have been effortless for us - comfortable, easy as breathing. I was the natural path your life would have taken...' He stared into space for a moment, and I waited. 'If the world was the way it was supposed to be, if there were no monsters and no magic...'
But even so...he's not as much her soul mate as Edward?
He was my soul mate in that world - would have been my soul mate still if his claim had not been overshadowed by something stronger, something so strong that it could not exist in a rational world.
Was it out there for Jacob, too? Something that would trump a soul mate? I had to believe that it was.
Two futures, two soul mates...too much for any one person.
Two soul mates? *confused* And I still have the same question: why put Jacob through all of this? It's just seems so...unfair! Part of me doesn't want to pick up Breaking Dawn...and part of me wants to pick it up right now to find out what happens to Jacob. Yes, I'll admit it. I love Jacob *grin* So, should I read Breaking Dawn? And, if so, should I read it now or should I wait until I've seen Eclipse (the movie), which yes I'm already planning to go and see - THANK YOU Meredith for agreeing to see it with me!)

7 comments:

  1. Yeah, Breaking Dawn is complete crap, IMO anyway, but if you want to find out what happens with Jacob then you should definitely read it.

    If you are anything like me, you'll know within the first chapter or so what's going on. *crossing my fingers that wasn't too spoilerish*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Kris. I do really want to know what happens to Jacob. I have it (Breaking Dawn) here but I have sort of got my iPhone working, so I thought I might tackle the first Adrian English book... Decisions, decisions *grin*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Kris; Breaking Dawn is pretty much a waste of paper, but if you want to find out what happens with Jacob you should read it.

    I'm so dying to spoil it for you....But I'll restrain myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What Kris, Holly and Renee said.

    Especially because those middle chapters are told from Jacob's POV.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What, no mention of the tent menage???

    I did like Breaking Dawn and thought it was a good conclusion to the series. BUT the way the Jacob storyline was resolved was kind of ridiculous. And it had annoyingly pro-life subtexts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holly/Renee/Christine - LOL! POint taken *grin* I will read Breaking Dawn, but after seeing the movie version of Eclipse I think. I think regardless of what's I've heard the Jacob POV might be worth it :)

    heidenkind - I had such expectations of the tent menage... I didn't mention it? *slaps hand* Yes, I know of the Jacob storyline resolution and I'm not a fan. I didn't know about the pro-life subtexts however.

    ReplyDelete