21 May 2010

Cheating?

I'm thinking about it... It's not quite what you think - I'm referring to cheating on a series, not a person (but, yes, still cheating). You see, the next Breed (Lora Leigh) book on my TBR list is Bengal's Heart. The heroine is a reporter, and the reporter heroine always annoys me. I'm not quite sure why...maybe because the reporter heroine is (almost) always forward and feisty...and because she usually goes a step too far to get the story (and thus enters TSTL territory). Plus, the reporter career is one that seems to crop up again and again and again...and I like variety *grin* And another check in the negative column is that this particular hero doesn't really do it for me. I know, I know, I'm insane!

So, I was thinking about my options: a) skip the book entirely; b) skip-read the book for the relevant overall plot arc and the introduction of any new characters; or c) read the whole book. What do you think I should do? And do you read a series in order regardless...or do you skip a book if that particular plot and/or characters doesn't interest you? I await your thoughts with bated breath!

FYI - apologies that this post is late. It was meant to appear last night but right in the middle of drafting this literary masterpiece (/sarcasm) the power cut out. Yes, again! Good thing I have non-electrical heating (aka the fire). Still, having a shower by candlelight isn't all it's cracked up to be. The power came back on just after I got out of the shower...Murphy's Law!

13 comments:

  1. Glad the power came back on!

    Um, I ran out of steam on this series before this book, so I can't comment on it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. *whispers* skip this one and read Lion's Head. This conversation never happened.

    Seriously, Cabal's story was sooooo disappointing both characters were meh and it felt like a rehash from previous books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you love books!!! I actually just stumbled on your blog while looking for followers for mine. Im a first time author trying to promote my book! If you get a chance please take a look at my blog www.wordsareinnermusic.blogspot.com Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't read LL, but I say SKIP it..live on the wild side ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. *whispers* I'm with KC on this one. *ninja flash out*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chris - I'm sure I live in a highly developed nation...which of course means that it's all about the money and not about actually investing in infrastructure!

    Smokin - what conversation? *grin* See, I've been looking at it today and thinking that even skimming it seems like too much effort, so I like your cunning plan :)

    Valia - thank you.

    Mandi - live on the wild side? Me? Oh, I don't know. I'm such a living in the box kind of person. But...I'm very tempted...

    Kris - *whispers* So noted. I think I'm leaning very far over in your and KC's direction *grin* And did I just see a ninja? *scratches head* I must be imagining things again...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Orannia... I would skip and go on to Lion's Heart. That's what I'm planning to do... ;P

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hilcia - thank you! I'm talking everyone's advice to heart, and I have the book with me in the car to return to the library (where I will pick up the final book in Sandra McDonald's sci-fi trilogy :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like you're living in the middle of nowhere with all those power losses ;) I'm not sure where I got this idea, but I thought you were living in New Zealand... now I'm wondering though...

    I go with the rest: skip it! :)
    I'm usually pretty strict about reading a series in order, but only when it concerns books I actually want to read. Since that's not the case for you with this book, I wouldn't hesitate and skip to the next one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ordinarily I would say read because I absolutely hate reading books out of order, but if you really don't want to read Bengal's Heart then just skip it. While I enjoyed Bengal's Heart, it was not my favourite - not even in my top 5 Breed stories. Cabal just wasn't at all how I expected him to be - I think I expected him to be a bit more intense. You won't miss too much by not reading the book.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Janna - LOL! I am in NZ...they just turn the power off early here. No up at all hours typing madly away on the computer searching for cookies *grin* Ang the book has officially been returned! I am so bad!

    ShellBell - thank you :) I was rather worried but...my heart just wasn't in it. I am, however, looking forward to Lion's Heart!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd say skip it. Life is too short. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. It was skipped. Am thinking of adding another book to the skip pile as well. I'm getting ruthless!

    ReplyDelete