09 May 2010

This And That

Just to let you know, this is one of those posts that is going to meander...just about everywhere *grin*

Last month I was thrilled to discover that I had won second prize in the Trapped In A Restaurant Meme hosted by the lovely and very talented author of Mind Games - Carolyn Crane of The Thrillonth Page! Thank you so much Carolyn! Second prize was intended to be US$50 towards dinner at a restaurant to celebrate the release of Mind Games and the fact that one of the characters (Sterling Packard) hasn't set foot outside the Mongolian Delites restaurant for 8 years. Unfortunately, our respective locations being what they are, the logistics were rather complicated. The lovely Carolyn therefore very kindly agreed that 'mind food' was an acceptable alternative, and thus forwarded me an Amazon gift card! I have to be honest, I had the gift card spent almost instantaneously! Anyway, I thought I would share with you what I bought:

*The Archer's Heart (Astrid Amara)

* Fallen from Grace (Laura Leone)

* Fragile Eternity (Melissa Marr)

* In for a Penny (Rose Lerner)

* Radiant Shadows (Melissa Marr)

A rather eclectic groups of books, yes? I'm an absolute fan of Melissa Marr's Wicked Lovely series, which explains Fragile Eternity and Radiant Shadows. And I kept hearing amazing things about In For A Penny, plus it contains two of my favourite historical romance tropes - marriage of convenience and estate rehabilitation. Fallen From Grace completely intrigues me...I can't wait to read it. And last but by no means least (because this book was actually the first book I ordered) is The Archer's Heart (Astrid Amara). What can I say- m/m plus fantasy in conjunction with an stellar review by the amazingly brilliant Kris from Kris 'N' Good Books had me exceptionally eager to read this book. It's taken me a while to purchase it but soon... *rubs hands with glee* Oh, and any m/m fantasy suggestions more than welcome *grin* And yes, the gift card covered all those books (I covered the postage). So THANK YOU Carolyn! *hugs*

As of last Monday, 9 months to the day since I started my healthy eating plan, I am 100 g (0.22 lb) away my goal weight of 57.5 kg (126.5 lb). Can we say frustrated? Almost there! Trying to find the silver lining, I have lost 16.2 kg (~35.5 lb) in the last 9 months - I had to go and purchase some new jeans last weekend (Levis - I always wear Levis :) So, 100 g to go. I am so going to reach my goal!

Also, exactly two months ago today I became the proud owner of my first house! Yes, I am a first time house buyer. It...needs a lot of work, but it's all mine...well, mine and the bank's, but mostly mine!

I've also just finished watching Season 1 of Criminal Minds...can I just say I hate cliffhangers...and that I love my best friend, the wonderful Starfire from Songs & Spinnings, who is going to lend me Season 2. The question is...how much of a delay before I race around to collect it is reasonable? In the interim, I'm watching the new Stargate Universe episodes...so much plotting.
So, what's been going on in your life of late?

Edited to add: Healthy eating plan data. I can't believe I forgot to include it originally!

26 comments:

  1. Orannia!! Congratulations on the weight loss and on buying your first home! Great accomplishments there. :D

    You chose some great books with your winnings. I've had The Archer's Heart on my TBR pile forever now. It's one of those BIG books LOL! It needs time & space, but it looks worth the read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you were able to discover the "mind food" clause!!

    Congrats on the weight loss!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hilcia - thank you! It's so nice to own (well, partly own :) my first home. I feel...more secure, like no one can walk in and kick me out (compared with the previous situation that is). And I love the books I've ordered - all thanks to CJ! Ahh, The Archer's Heart is a big book? Hmmm. Might be a good book for my challenge, although I am not letting myself get out of reading Kushiel's Dart *grin*

    Chris - I thought the mind food clause was rather inspired :) And thank you. I kind of get all caught up in not making my goal that I forget how far I've come. Am wearing my new jeans today :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL. The Archer's Heart is definitely a Big Book. I became so caught up in the story though that I gobbled it down.

    Thank you for the lovely compliment, sweet, and I'm so please for you about your weight loss and buying your first home. That is awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. D'oh! How did I miss the house business?!? Congrats on that! I know just what you mean about ownership. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Chris--so cool that you were able to negotiate the "mind food" clause (LOL!)! Great idea! ;)

    Your collection of books is fantastic! I personally get more satisfaction scoring an eclectic mix of books for some reason. I guess variety is the spice of life and I like spicy! :)

    Your weight loss and healthy eating plan achievements are awesome! I know I told you this before, but your achievement was very influential in inspiring me to finally just do it myself--(nearly 6 kg since April 1 and counting! Woot!). So thank you for sharing your goals and your progress here on your blog. I'm cheering you on for that last 100g, but the geek in me cannot help but point out that that's still probably well within one standard deviation of even the most precise scale! But I know what it's like to need to see that specific number on the scale, so go for it!!! You can kick those last 100g!

    Congrats once again on the house. It is so wonderful to have something to call all your own. :)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Huge congratulations on the healthy eating plan--you may be frustrated you are not *there* but 100g over it is... is... woman, you are amazing.

    And don't argue about it either.

    Also huge congrats on the house! It's an incredible feeling, isn't it? Knowing that it's yours, to care for, to cherish, to enjoy? Here's wishing you many happy hours fiddling with it.

    And here's to many happy reading hours (great stash)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay!!! You are my hero :) I admire people who start a journey and see it through. Congrats on the weight loss! And your new home... May it be filled with love and joy and may you create many wonderful memories :D

    I'm very interested in Astrid Amara's book. I think I'll be buying that one next. Be interested to see what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kris - so noted that The Archer's Heart is a 'big book'. Will make sure I leave lots of space for it :) And you're welcome - you are amazingly brilliant - and thank you *hugs*

    Chris - thank you! It's one of those long posts...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Christine - thank you. I thought the mind food clause was kind of inspired, but I'm so grateful to CJ for permitting it :) And congrats on the 6 kg! My goodness, that's a huge amount - ~1 kg a week, yes? And yes, I need to see that specific number on the scales!

    azteclady - thank you. I know, it's only 100 g, but... OK, no arguing :) And yes, amazing feeling about the house. It still hasn't quite sunk in, but...I just feel more secure. It's my...sancturary I guess :)

    Mariana - thank you. The trick now will be to stick too my weight and not go back. I need to stop the emotional eating. And thank you. I hope too (create wonderful memories that is). And The Archer's Heart sound very good. Hmmm...maybe I'll have to review it, although I won't do anywhere near as good a job as Kris!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on the weight loss and the new jeans! :)
    And isn't it a wonderful feeling to have your own house?
    Nice collection of books too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you Janna! I have the second pair of new jeans on ATM. Weirdly, I don't think they make them as thick/heavy as they used too. And yes, it is a wonderful feeling to have my own house...I just wish it was warmer (but I'm working on that :) Will try not to bore everyone with house posts *grin*

    ReplyDelete
  13. Orannia: You aren't imagining it re: the Levis, depending on the style - esp if they're "girl" jeans.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Okay, it took my Dutch brain a while to realize that ATM was not a cash machine but 'at the moment' (right?), lol!
    That's wonderful hon!
    And what's boring about house posts? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Chris - good. I thought it was just me :) And, is it just me or are the pockets like way smaller? What, do they think all women have a handbag or something?

    Janna - sorry. And yes, an ATM here is also a cash machine. And I'm glad you said that (about the house posts), 'cause I may just post about my rennovations!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats all round on the weight loss and the house... It is the best feeling as you said.

    I look forward to your thoughts on the Leone book - I know will read it, but need to read some of what is falling down around me..

    E.H>

    ReplyDelete
  17. Orannia: Nope, the pockets are much more shallow. I have comparison pairs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, congratulations! And how exciting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you EH! I know waht you mean about books falling down. I have a pile in the corner....

    CHris - I thought so!!! I have a pair I bought five years ago, and I can get far more than one key in them! What were the designers thinking?

    heidenkind - thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. No clue. It makes me cranky that they change the styles but keep the same number. A pair of 550s now is nothing like a pair of 550s from 10 years ago. There's a store in my neighborhood that does a brisk business in "vintage" Levis.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ohhhh, vintage Levis. Temting, so tempting :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I confess that it's a bit traumatic to realize that styles of Levis from 15 years ago are now vintage... what does that make ME?

    ReplyDelete
  23. LOL! Maybe we're vintage too *grin*

    ReplyDelete
  24. That was my inescapable conclusion.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hey! So fun to see what you got here! Also, congrats on the continuing weight loss. Woo hoo! New jeans! On their way to being too big. I didn't realize you were such a big Melissa Marr fan! Must try her!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Chris - LOL!

    Carolyn - thank you so much! And I love my new jeans. Yes, I'm a big Melissa Marr fan. I loved Ink Exchange. It was a 'speak to me' book. If you do try her books I'd love to know what you think :)

    ReplyDelete