29 June 2010

An End...and a Beginning

Today marks the end of an era. It was my last jazz (dance) exam (Advanced II). Now, technically, there is one further exam in the JazzAddict syllabus - Solo Seal. However, sitting it only crossed my mind for approximately one second. Probably less than one second if I'm honest. Because Solo Seal is a performance-based exam, which involves an amalgamation taught by the examiner. And I would also have to choreograph three dances and perform them in costume! And I'm not a performer by any stretch of the imagination. I wonder if that's because I'm so dissociated from my emotions? *shrug* Something to think about.
So, is this the end of me dancing? No! I love to dance. I've always loved to dance. I'm just changing...genres. Going back to basics, which is good idea since I never really learnt the basics *grin* So, what dance genre will I be learning next term?
 
I'm going to be a ballet student *grin* Mostly I've had really positive responses when I've told people I'll be learning ballet, but I did have one person (female) comment that they thought ballet was for little girls. And this person is perfectly entitled to think that. But I think ballet is for everyone - female and male, young and old. To clarify, I'm only starting ballet technique next term. Seeing how I find it. And if I like it I might try and find a dance studio for next year that teaches syllabus ballet. I like working towards exams. It makes me feel like I'm making progress.
So, who thinks I'm mad?

11 comments:

  1. Here's to a wonderful new beginning! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, congrats and good luck!!!

    I see you're reading the Connor Grey series. Love those.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! Enjoy this new beginning, orannia. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that's exciting! Hope you have fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Janna - thank you! I'll be in with a bunch of teenagers, but then I've been learning my jazz with teenagers so..it doesn't worry me like it used too :) They are there to dance, I'm there to dance :)

    Thank you Chris! And yes, I really like the Connor Grey series. It's a shame it's taken me so long to read this one! And my library has the next one - YAH!

    Hilcia - thank you :) I'm so looking forward to buying my first ever pair of ballet shoes!

    Thank you heidenkind! Part of me thinks I'm mad, but part of me is very excited. Hopefully the first class goes well and I'm not too much of a hefalump (sp?) *grin*

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is sooooo cool! And what I think is that you have great courage. Go forth, woman!


    (and this is too good not to post: my verification word is "alegre")

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kris - thank you! *hugs* I'm really excited. I've been wanting to learn ballet for...I can't remember how long. Next stop - ballet shoe shopping *grin*

    Thank you azteclady! Not so sure about the courage, although...stepping into a class of teenagers does take some guts. Plus, this studio is downstairs rather than upstairs, so all the people waiting will be able to watch me dance! Scary!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it's very cool that you are doing something that you love and changing it up by changing genres, so to speak. You go girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tracy - thank you! I do love to dance. And yes, I'm changing things up and going back to basics all in one go :) Have I mentioned how excited I am about going shoe shopping? *bounce bounce*

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on your jazz accomplishments and best wishes with Ballet & Pointe!!!! How fun!!!

    ReplyDelete