15 November 2010

Spring Cleaning

So, yesterday I sat down at my computer to commence a little (late) spring cleaning of my TBR list. *cue scary music* For someone who is rather OCD about, well, everything *grin* my TBR list has become rather messy. (Do I have to turn in my lifelong OCD membership?) You see, every time I read a review at various blogs or on GoodReads and think 'Yes! I want to read that book' I write the title and author on a post-it note. These post-it notes are then placed next to my computer, for eventual transfer to either my library hold list or my written TBR (library or eBook) list. Unfortunately, the post-it notes have been accumulating and accumulating and accumulating...

Therefore, instead of visiting blogs yesterday (apologies for being AWOL) I went through...the majority of the post-it notes (I still have some left - I swear they've been breeding when I wasn't looking) and added them to the relevant TBR list or not, depending on what I thought of each book's premise. What was interesting with this process was how things have changed. I'm currently in a YA 'no fly' zone ATM, so the majority of the YA books listed on various post-it notes were culled. It got me thinking about how a TBR list/pile/tower is in a way a living thing, reflecting our current likes and dislikes. And, yes, maybe I will be kicking myself in a few months when I suddenly go on a YA bender and have none listed in my TBR list, but...it seems silly to keep listing books that don't currently interest me. Doesn't it?

So, do you revise your TBR list/pile/tower regularly and, if so, do books fall by the wayside depending on which genres you are currently enjoying and which you are not?

11 comments:

  1. Allow me to direct you to Evernote - it's free for the level of use you're likely to have. It has clients for Windows, Mac, iPhone, etc. When you have installed (along with the browser client), you can right-click on book information (text & pictures) and select "Send to EverNote", which will add the selected text. Then you can go into EverNote and tag the new note, move it to a specific folder, etc. It's how I keep track of all the book covers for the Misadventures, plus the books that catch my eye on people's blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a HUGE pile 400+ and I add to it so it never shrinks. I do go through reading spurts though... however, it never affects my pile. Mainly b/c I only get rid of books I've read and didn't like. Otherwise I try to just search for a book that might interest me. Recently I've been burned out on UF books so I'm really glad I have a ton of historical romances waiting. Here pretty soon I'll be burned out on HR and will super glad my UF books are there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't even think about what books to add to my TBR right now; I'm just happy when I get to read. =/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris - introducing an OCD person like me to Evernote is like waving a red flag at a bull! *grin* I'm looking forward to investigating it 0 thank you!

    Sarai - I do the same thing WRT burn-out. ATM I'm burnt out on UF and am almost there with YA. And so it makes a difference to have books in other genres on standby :)

    heidenkind - time in short supply ATM? I hope you find some time to read soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ummm, you're welcome?! :) Seriously, I love it. You even get an email address that allows you to email stuff into your Evernote account.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is why I love to keep track of my TBR and wish list piles of books online with a virtual bookshelf like Shelfari or Goodreads. It doesn't clutter up any real life space!

    As far as real TBR ... as in actual books I own and keep on shelves or in boxes... I don't usually weed those out. I like to think that someday I will actually read the books I own. Don't laugh. :p

    As for the wish list of books, or books I want to read from the library? ... those I revamp every now and then... maybe a few times a year when I lose interest or change my mind or whatnot.

    I used to add an entire series to my wish list when I became interested in maybe reading it. Now I just add the first book to the series to the list and then wait until I read that one before adding the rest of the series to the list. It helps keep those lists manageable I guess.

    Oooo I think I have Evernote on my iPhone...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Every once in a while I go through and remove books from the wish list that I'm no longer interested in. I have found that sometimes I hear something about one of those books soon after getting rid of it that makes me add it back, though. Recently, I got rid of most of the urban fantasy I had on my wish list. There were a couple that sounded different enough that I was still interested in reading them, but for the most part I'm tired of it unless it's by an author I really like.

    I'm like Christine when it comes to the real TBR... Those do not get weeded out since I got that book for a reason and like to think that someday I will read it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Erm, I buy what I want immediately and then read it either straight away or when I'm in the mood for it. Wish lists, tbb lists, etc are not for me. It's tbr or die. :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chris - LOL!

    Christine - WRT series I do the same thing. I add the first book and then if I enjoy it add the second. I only ever have one series book at a time on my TBR...prevents clogging :) And I don't know why I don't use GoodReads. Maybe because I spring clean my TBR list so often!

    Kristen - I think a good 'spring clean' helps. And I did the same thing with my UF earlier this year...actually it's scary how many series I've stopped reading this year.

    It's tbr or die. :P

    Kris - I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, I clean the to-buy list every now and then. Sometimes I wonder what on earth I was thinking adding this or that book to it, lol! My tbr exists only of books that I already bought, so no point for a 'spring clean' there ;)

    Btw Chris directed me to Evernote before and it's working wonderful, because it can be used on the computer, laptop, phone and ipad - it synchronizes neatly, as long as you have an internet connection to get to your latest updates. I can highly recommend it. :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Janna - I too wonder what at times what I was thinking when I see certain books included. And thank you for seconding Evernote. I am going to investigate thoroughly this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete