05 January 2011

The 2011 Big Book Challenge

This challenge was inspired by the lovely Heidenkind from Heidenkind's Hideaway and a discussion I had at some point....somewhere.

No, I didn't get enough of it last year...probably because I didn't actually complete it last year, so I have decided to resurrect The Big Book Challenge! And when I say big I mean really big, because in this challenge, size really does matter. You see, even after reading a number of 'big' books last year, I still panic when I see them... They are so big I'm afraid they will eat my alive! *hides under bed* So, this challenge it to help me tackle those big books that scare me. The challenge rules are simple:

1) Read a big book, and by a big book I mean a book with more than 500 pages, before the end of 2010.

2) The book can be in any format as long as its length is equivalent to more than 500 pages in print format.
 
3) The big book can be from any fiction genre (e.g. fantasy, romance, science fiction). It can even be non-fiction.

4) A review is not required (although I'm going to attempt a post detailing my thoughts on the book, or the reasons why I didn't finish it *grin*).

5) No penalties if the book isn't read by the end of 2011 (because this is meant to be fun and I'm sure we'll put enough pressure on ourselves without this challenge being the last straw).

6) The book can be changed at any time! (Flexibility is important IMO :)

7) You can join at any time throughout the year!

Please sign-up below and let me know in the comments what big book you have been avoiding! For me, it's Astrid Amara's The Archer's Heart!

14 comments:

  1. Not joining - but you know I'll be here to cheer you on!!

    *hides in case any big books are spying*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Chris! And beware...those big books are always on the look-out for readers to entangle :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. *flees, leaving only a little cloud of dust behind*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joining! I like this challenge... My book choice: Eon, Dragoneye Reborn by Alison Goodman.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I failed at your challenge!!!!!! I'm renewing it for this year. This will be the year I read DUNE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mariana - I'm so glad you like this challenge. I'm all gooey now :) And good luck with Eon!

    Carolyn - I failed too :) Good luck with Dune. I changed books this year - hopefully I'll do a little better with The Archer's Heart *grin*

    ReplyDelete
  7. I *LOVE* big books! I need to go find a hardback edition of Gabaldon's latest -- I want it to match the others on my shelf and now the stores only have hardback and that strange sort of ragweight paperback. If I can find it, I'll join up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nicola - I'll keep my fingers crossed that you find it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maybe I'll finally get around to reading a Sara Donati or Diana Gabaldon from my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
  10. ShellBell - welcome! And good luck! I look forward to hearing what 'big' book you decide to tackle :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sweeeeet! I was hoping you were going to do this challenge again in 2011!

    Not to rub it in to you people who failed last year, but I not only read my challenge book--Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, but I also read two or three additional 500+ page books. HA! <--okay that's rubbing it in. Oops. ;-)

    Count me in! I have two books in mind ... I just need to check their length before I commit. Is a YA book okay?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm about to finish my big book...for the 2009 challenge!!! Woo hoo! Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Finished my big book! Yay! Review is up and everything :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Orannia! Check out this photo-- I laughed and laughed and immediately thought of this challenge!

    http://ratter.tumblr.com/post/8477943914/theoceanandthesky-i-like-big-books-and-i

    ReplyDelete