26 January 2011

Amy Lane Weekend

Amy Lane is fast becoming one of my favourite m/m authors. The first book by her that I ever read was Keeping Promise Rock.

This book gripped me from the opening page and didn't let up until the end. In fact, I was loathe to let these characters, who had stolen into my heart, go. There were points in the book when I cried, points when I was so worried about the characters I was tempted to peek ahead just to reassure myself that all would be well :) Sounds like a rollarcoaster of emotion, doesn't it? It was...but it was so worth it! Why? Because Amy Lane writes...honestly. What I mean is, she doesn't shy away from raw emotion nor are her characters perfect. They are...imperfectly human and thus emmentely relatable. At their heart, her books are about finding those souls that complete you, whether they be family, friends or lovers...or even all three. The best description of Amy Lane's books IMHO was written by the author herself, as part of a recent post on GoodReads entitled Redemption:
Chemistry may be a bolt from the blue, friendships may spring up in an instant, but love, real love, comes from existing side by side, seeing the best and the worst and maintaining that slow, strong burn that can sustain both parties if one of you is brought low.

Dating is always the best of things, putting on your best clothes, leaving behind the unpleasant realities in order to make a good impression.What happens in Talker and Talker's Redemption is sort of the exact opposite. It's loving each other through the worst of things. It's finding the best of yourself for your lover when you couldn't find it for yourself. It's courage where you didn't think you'd find any, and humor when you have very little to laugh at and optimism when the only thing you have to wake up to is your lover, and that's more than enough.
As this coming weekend will be a long one, I thought I would have an Amy Lane weekend and read some of her books that have been tantilizing me for so long :) Talker is definitely on the list, as is Truth in the Dark.

So, have you read an Amy Lane book and, if so, which one was your favourite? And please feel free to join me in reading one of Amy Lane's marvellous books this weekend!

16 comments:

  1. Hmmm .. I've only read 2 Amy Lane books - Keeping Promise Rock and Making Promises - so I can't really judge. I enjoyed both stories equally. I loved Keeping Promise Rock for the emotion portrayed and Making Promises for the endearingly eccentric Mikhail.

    I'll probably get around to reading some more at some stage but I have so many other books that I need to read first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I lied. I just bought 2 of Amy Lane's novella's from ARe - Christmas With Danny Fit and If I Must. I do quite like the sound of Talker and Talker's Redemption but they will have to wait for another time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ShellBell - I didn't realize you'd read Keeping Promise Rock!! I'm so glad you enjoyed it. I adored it! And I enjoyed Making Promises too, although if I've being honest not as much as Keeping Promise Rock. I can't wait for the third book!

    And I love that you just went out and bought two more Amy Lane books (novellas). So, you'll be joining me reading Amy Lane this weekend then? *grin*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Truth In The Dark is probably my favourite, although I just looked on goodreads and realised that I've pretty much given everything I've read of Amy's 4 stars. Her work has a depth of feeling which is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. orannia - only if I can wait that long!

    Kris - Well said and I totally agree, her writing does have a wonderful depth of feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amy Lane is one of my favorite authors... Keeping Promise Rock has to be the favorite because it's the first. I've read all her stuff except Truth in the Dark... will have to get that :) Definitely read Talker and Talker's Redemption... just totally heartbreaking and fulfilling. Love them :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just realized she had a bunch of novellas I haven't read... I should check out the authors page O_o I'll be joining the Amy Lane weekend reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved KPR! And I bet you'll love Truth in the Dark and Talker. I have to read Talker's Redemption soon - just need to make sure I have a handful of hankies on hand. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I'm going to have a Shadowfever weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Her work has a depth of feeling which is wonderful.

    Kris - that is...one of the best descriptions of Amy Lane's books that I've ever read! Sometimes I just want to...crawl into her books. Particularly if I could spend time with Carrick & Deacon and their family. I think I need to re-read Keeping Promise Rock :)

    ShellBell - LOL!

    Mariana - I think Keeping Promise Rock will always be my favourite. I love Carrick & Deacon and...the sense of family that pervades that book moves me to tears!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mariana - YAH for joining the Amy Lane Weekend!

    Chris - I could wax lyrical for hours about Keeping Promise ROck (see my comment to Mariana above :) Am loving Talker so far! Will I need multiple tissues?

    heidenkind - happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd keep them handy.... just in case. And you'll need the ones you don't use for Talker for Truth in the Dark, so...

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is an excellent idea, orannia! I might join your Amy Lane Weekend, since I can't seem to decide which of my books I want to read. :)
    I loved Talker and now Talker's Redemption is waiting on my ereader for me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Chris - so noted :) Am reading Truth in the Dark now so have them handy!

    Janna - I'd love you to! I'm already on my third Amy Lane book - Talker's Redemption was....heart-breaking, but amazing (if that makes sense).

    ReplyDelete
  15. So far I've read If I Must, Christmas With Danny Fit, Talker and Talker's Redemption. Am considering Truth in the Dark.

    I see you are reading The Letter Z. I enjoyed Marie Sexton's Coda series. My favourite is Strawberries for Dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  16. ShellBell - a good Amy Lane Weekend! Yes, my Amy Lane Weekend turned into a Marie Sexton Weekend as well :) Am currently reading Strawberries for Dessert - I adore Cole!

    ReplyDelete