03 January 2011

(In)Complete

So, another year has ended. In the world of reading and challenges, how did I do? I read a total of 125 books in 2010. That seems like a lot, but as a large number of them were yaoi or yaoi manga (and thus short) I think my total is slightly inflated *grin* Unfortunately reviews were few and far between. I still have review notes for Corambis (Sarah Monette) and I am going to try and write that...this month. (I was going to say this week, but...such a time frame might be asking for trouble :)

At the beginning of the year I signed up for I Heart Paperbacks' M/M Romance Challenge 2010 and since I was new to both my iPhone and reading m/m novels in eBook form I went for the chicken easy restrained option of reading five m/m romances in 2010. I read....30 novels/novellas! *blushes* What can I say, I love the genre! There is so much variety...and so many talented authors, including Amy Lane, James Buchanan, JB MacDonald, Josh Lanyon and Jordan Castillo Price (to name but a few). [Maybe it's me, but a lot of them seem to have first names beginning with 'J'...]

I also instigated the 2010 Big Book Challenge in an effort to stop avoiding those large tombs books...you know, the ones with more than 500 pages that can be used as a paperweight? I have to say I was rapt at the number of people who signed up! But...I couldn't complete my own challenge :( I read a lot of books in 2010 that were more than 500 pages,but not my designated book - Kushiel's Dart (Jacqueline Carey). I've come to the conclusion that...I don't want to read it at the moment. I'm sure I'm giving some of you heart palpitations with that comment, but...the premise of the book just doesn't interest me ATM. But, there is another book, so I thought I would issue the Big Book Challenge once again! Post to follow!

The last challenge I signed up for in 2010 was J Kaye's 2010 Support Your Local Library Reading Challenge. In 2009 I read over 50 library books so I accepted the challenge to read 50 library in 2010. However, I only managed to read 40 :( Why? I could roll our any number of reasons, but...I just didn't. I'd like to take this challenge on for 2011, but I might reduce the number of books to 25...be a little more realistic considering the number of eBooks on my TBR list :)

And finally I come to my favourite books for 2010. I read a number of five star books this year, but...these were the books that spoke to me. So...in no particular order:

* Adrien English series (Josh Lanyon)

* Banana Fish (Akimi Yoshida)

* By Degrees (JB MacDonald)

* Corambis (Sarah Monette)

* Flesh & Spirit/Breath & Bone (Carol Berg)

* Keeping Promise Rock (Amy Lane)

* Tigers and Devils (Sean Kennedy)

I don't think I've missed any...

And no, I haven't listed any New Year's resolutions. I'm not a fan of resolutions...I feel you should be able to set goals whenever :) Well....that's the PC version. The non-PC version is that I'm just not in the right frame of mind for resolutions ATM. I don't think I have the strength to face family and work next week, let alone some resolutions I am bound to fail within a day :)

So, what challenges (reading or otherwise) are you thinking about accepting for 2011?

11 comments:

  1. I try not to set challenge goals, because it usually guarantees I'll fail... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! I think that's why my I set my M/M Romance Challenge 2010 target so low. It was a new challenge so I didn't want to overextend and fall flat on my face. But then I made it with bells on, so this year I've been an idiot and gone for 20+! On the other hand, I thought reading 50 library books would be a doddle, based on 2009, but m/m books took over and I didn't reach it. I'd like to do the library challenge again, but I'm going to be more circumspect.

    I should so not do challenges :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you're enjoying Lord of the White Hell!

    In an interesting coincidence, I am about 95% sure that JB MacDonald also wrote the fanfic series I am currently re-reading (I'm taking a break from Yuletide!). It's very good, and I wondered why she'd stopped writing it - will have to check out the novels!

    I still need to finish the 50poc book challenge - currently I'm very behind on blogging them. I was thinking I might try and blog more this year, and I have some writing-related goals, but no new reading challenges as such.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am very much enjoying LOTWH! Oh, and can I direct you to the comments in this review?

    http://www.reviewsbyjessewave.com/?p=28834

    *madly crossing fingers for another book*

    I adore JB MacDonald's By Degrees. Let's just say that one of the characters and I have a lot in common, and it's rare that I find that in a book. And, although I know it's fiction, it kind of gave me hope :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Out of the four of your top books that I've read I'd wholeheartedly agree with you :).

    I don't think it matters that you didn't complete your challenges, just that you had fun doing it and that you get a sense of achievement from it :).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jenre - YAH! Out of interest, which four are those please? And thank you. Am feeling a little better about challenges today...I know why I didn't complete the two of them, so I'm going to..re-gig for this year :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. By Degrees, Adrien English series, Tigers and Devils and Keeping Promise Rock.

    All really good books/series which I would recommend :).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jenre - thank you! All AMAZING books IMHO! I still get tingles every time I re-read scenes from By Degrees and Keeping Promise Rock!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Confession time: I have the first four Adrian English stories in my hard drive and in my Sony Pocket... and have yet to read them.

    One of these days, hopefully!

    I'm joining Christine's In Death challenge again this year, and I'm considering (with considerable trepidation) joining SuperLibrarian Wendy in the TBR challenge this year--there's plenty to choose from in the tottering TBR mountain range chez aztec, after all--but I'm one of those commitment-phobic jerks, so it's still up in the air.

    Another one I'm sooooo tempted to join is your very own Big Book Challenge--and the book in question is, funnily enough, Kushiel's Dart. But again, that pesky commitment thing...

    ReplyDelete
  10. azteclady - you haven't? The Adrien English books are...addictive IMHO. I finished one and started another! I look forward to hearing what you think when you read them *grin* Oh, and I'd love you to join The Big Book Challenge, but no pressure :) I do believe that one can change books for the challenge, if that helps? I have this year :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I make New Year's Resolutions! I make them all year long. LOL!

    Seriously, though, "New Year's Resolutions" have a bad rap. I think the concept is great, but sometimes people take them too seriously. I mean, setting out to achieve some goals to improve your life and or happiness is a good thing, right? It shouldn't be stressful. I try not to be too hard on myself over it all. Life is too short for that shit. ^_^

    This year's goals include some reading challenges and some health & fitness goals that kind of spill over from last year... and I'm okay with that.

    ReplyDelete