07 March 2011

Lengths

On Tuesday 8 March, Ginn Hale's new serial The Rifter will be available at Weightless Books:
When John opens a letter addressed to his missing roommate, Kyle, he expects to find a house key, but instead he is swept into a strange realm of magic, mysticism, revolutionaries and assassins. Though he struggles to escape, John is drawn steadily closer to a fate he share with Kyle—to wake the destroyer god, the Rifter, and shatter a world.
Do I want to read this serial? Is the sky blue? But...and isn't there always a but? But...I'm not quite sure of Weightless Books' payment options. I think they may require payment via PayPal (but I've emailed to check). If they do, then I have me a bit of a dilemma. See, I don't have a PayPal account. But I really want to read The Rifter. So I am thinking...seriously thinking...of opening a PayPal account...or at least investigating the positives and negatives of said account and perhaps asking a close friend (who I know has one) for her thoughts.

I was in a similar situation last week. Jordan Castillo Price (JCP) released the sixth book in the PsyCop series - GhosTV. (I went on a glom of this series over the Christmas/New Year period - I was only planning on reading the first book, but found I just couldn't stop! Isn't that the way with all good series?) But, the book is currently only available at JCPBooks, which utilizes Google Checkout...and that stores your credit card details. And I wasn't comfortable with that so decided to wait until the book was available at All Romance eBooks. However, a very lovely friend of mine (I wasn't sure whether you wanted to be outed lovely friend, so decided to leave you nameless :) kindly purchased the book for me, so I have it to look forward to this weekend (after surviving a morning with my family *sickly smile*) Thank you so much lovely friend!

And all this has got me to thinking about the lengths I will go too to read a book. Having my credit card details stored is a no go zone....joining PayPal? Hmmmm. Maybe. What about suggesting books to the library so that they purchase them? Yup, done than. (My library is amazing in the breadth of books it purchases - I noticed today that it had purchased Ginn Hale's Wicked Gentlemen, so I immediately requested it to show my support :)

So, what lengths will you go too to read a book?

6 comments:

  1. Well, PayPal stores banking details, including credit card details, so....

    Yay for GhosTV! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, if you're leery about having your credit card or bank info stored, PayPal isn't a very good option. Plus they've been hacked a few times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been known to travel pretty big distances for books; although this was pre-ereader.

    I'm not uncomfortable to hand out my info, it does give me a twinge, but I figure if something does go wrong these sites/bank are liable; no?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris - ohhhhh. And definitely YAH for GhosTV! I have me a date with Vic & Jacob! *happy dancing*

    heidenkind - they've been hacked? YIKES! Luckily, my lovely friend with the PayPal account in the above post has kindly bought me a subscription to The Rifter serial (and I'm giving her the equivalent amount in NZ$). She's an absolute angel!

    Mariana - I've done that...half an hour or more at least. I have insurance on my credit card - just in case there is a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm like you, trying to avoid PayPal and Google Checkout. I don't like my credit card details to be stored. Luckily, hubs does have a PayPal account and I sometimes use it when there's no other possible way of payment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Janna - apologies for the late reply. I wish PayPal and Google Checkout allowed you the option not to store or just didn't store full stop. I'm very, very grateful to my two friends for helping me out WRT GhosTV and Ginn Hale's The Rifter. I'm very, very lucky.

    ReplyDelete