26 March 2011

That Way!

So *rubs hands with glee* I have finally been able to get my hands on Season Seven of Foyle's War, a British detective drama set during World War II. And it's brilliant! (Well, the first episode anyway :)

But...I caught myself doing something in the middle of the first episode that I have been previously unaware of doing. (I'm sure I've done it before.) See...I started telling the characters what to do. Picture this: London, June 1945. Our..hero and heroine (or the lovely young lady in the photo and the gentleman to the far right [FYI - they have a father-daughter type of relationship]) are being chased by someone with a gun. And where do they decide to go? Into a crypt! Yes! A crypt! Not towards lots of people, thus making it harder for the gunman to shot them (but I suppose also increasing the risk of collateral damage), but away from people. Towards somewhere that is just bound to have a dead end. (Which this crypt did...in more ways than one :) Hence the 'No! That way!' comments.

So, I'm curious, have you ever found yourself talking to the characters of a book or to those in a movie or TV episode and telling them what to do?

3 comments:

  1. Most definitely. :) Particularly when they're doing something monumentally stupid (such as going into a crypt) that is obviously being done just for drama.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, I talk to TV characters ALL THE TIME! Especially if I've either seen the show several times or if it's just dumb. My dad used to come into the living room where I was watching TV and be like, "Who the heck are you talking to?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris - I honestly felt like this was one monumentally stupid decision...and definitely upped the tension.

    heidenkind - I'm so glad it's not just me :)

    ReplyDelete