14 May 2011

The Great Race

Do you ever feel like you have been mysteriously entered into a race when you pick up a book? Where the object is to read the book as fast as possible and then move on to the next without stopping to...savour the moment? I realized this week that I may have bought into this concept without realizing it.

I think it harks back to reading The War of Light and Shadow (Janny Wurts), the fantasy series I have been reading (three chapters per week) for the last few months. I was so focused on keeping up that I felt into a pattern, a pattern where keeping up was the most important thing. And how did I realise this? Whenever I pick a book up I always check how many pages there are...and when I reach a certain page I calculate how many more pages I have to read. And then there is the continually revising estimate of how many pages I can read in one day. Me? OCD? What gave you that idea? It doesn't help that I put myself under pressure with my library hold list. Note the I in that sentence, because all this is on me. I'm not sure quite how to fix it, so any suggestions welcome *grin*

And because 'The Great Race' reminds me of the movie of the same name I give you the pie scene! (Mainly because I couldn't find the 'I am an emancipated woman' scene.)

7 comments:

  1. Hmm. No, I don't find myself doing that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Racing through books for engaging in pie fights? *grin* S'OK - I know you mean the former. I am going to try very hard to stop said racing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read when I can and however many pages I get done, I get done. I really don't pay attention to how many pages I have left unless I'm trying to calculate pages vs. bedtime. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tracy - see, that's the attitude I need to take :) And I heard you on the pages versus bedtime. I just keep thinking I can squeeze another chapter in *grin*

    ReplyDelete
  5. heidenkind - this sounds bad, but...it's so nice that it's not just me :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I catch myself doing that every once in a while but it's not often. Usually it's when I get an incredible urge to read the next book I have planned, but I refuse to stop a book in the middle for another one. So then I find myself kind of hurrying it along. But I try to catch myself and remember that reading is a joy and a hobby and I should be savoring it.

    ReplyDelete