20 May 2011

Trumpeting

I don't really know how else to describe it. I'm currently reading The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms (NK Jemisin) and it has...completely blown me away (to put it mildly). I just want to keep raving to all and sundry (you're the all BTW, not the sundry *grin*) about how brilliant it is. As to why it is so brilliant...I'm not quite sure *blushes* I love the fact that it is written in the first person, but it's more like the narrator is sitting in front of me chatting. And then there is the scheming and politics. It both does and it doesn't remind me of Sarah Monette's Doctrine of Labyrinth. (Has anyone else read both series? Would you agree/disagree?)

And all of this trumpeting has me thinking about other books that have just swept me off my feet. (Yes, it would be nice if a male did that, but I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth *grin*) The aforementioned Sarah Monette's Doctrine of Labyrinths is one. Carol Berg's Flesh & Spirit and Breath & Bone (The Lighthouse Duology) is another. And before you start thinking that they all have one thing in common (genre), I would like to throw (with love) Amy Lane's Keeping Promise Rock into the mix!

And while part of me wants to include in my raving 'Read it, read it, read it!', the rest of me is cognizant that people's tastes...differ, and what works for one may not work for another. But...I still want to pull out the trumpet *grin*

So, what was the last book you felt like trumpeting to the world?

11 comments:

  1. Probably The Shadow of the Templar books, which I know completely worked for me, but won't necessarily for others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard The 100 Thousand Kingdoms is pretty good, but you know me--I tend to shy away from long books. And even though I haven't seen this book in person, it SOUNDS really long. :P

    The last I book I read that I wanted to force everyone to read was Wicked Lovely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand how you feel, Orannia. The last book I read (more or less in this category) that obsessed me was Dust (Jacobs Ladder Trilogy, Book 1) by Elizabeth Bear. It's a science fiction space opera and I just loved, loved the world in that book. I couldn't stop reading the book or thinking about it for quite a while. I wanted to find a "book club" or just somewhere where there were tons of people reading this book just so that I could discuss it, disect it, etc... Loved it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you're enjoying this book! It and the sequel both really captivated me, and I can't wait to read the third one.

    The last book I loved like that was Eona by Alison Goodman. From start to finish, I just had to know what happened next and I couldn't stop thinking about it!

    @heidenkind - The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms is about 400 pages in trade paperback. It was shorter than it looked since the print is decent-sized and it's not at all dense.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chris - I do want to give that series a go!

    heidenkind - WRT The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms? What Kristen said. It was just under 400 pages (trade paperback format), but the text was relatively big - I whizzed through it. And I hear you on Wicked Lovely. It blew me away when I read it. I look forward to hearing what you think of the third book - Fragile Eternity.

    Hilcia - I do really want to try Dust - your review completely inspired me :) And I'd forgotten the 'discuss ad nauseum' drive. There's nothing worse that finishing a book that has blown your mind and not been able to talk about it with someone else who has read it. It's why I love the online community :)

    Kristen - can I email you a question about the sequel please? I know spoilers are bad, but...I just want to know if what I hope for happens. Oh, and I have to say my favourite character was Sieh. Loved him!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, all these titles I've never heard off, except for the Amy Lane book. And I'm afraid that the trumpeting feeling has been a long while ago for me, because I can't remember the title... (or it's just me getting forgetful). :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Janna - I read quite a lot of fantasy in between all the m/m. I do hope that you find a book you'd love to trumpet about soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm SO glad you are loving The 100 Thousand Kindoms. I think what appealed to me about this book was definitely the world building, god mythology, the plot of course-- with is familial, tribal and political complications, but I also felt this was a very personal story for the main character, Yeine. Kind of finding out her place in the world, dealing with prejudices due to her mixed race--not really being accepted by either side of her family. Tough stuff. I loved her character.

    I loved this book... but I think I loved Elfland by Freda Warrington even more.

    ReplyDelete
  9. For interested readers, The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms ebook is on sale on amazon for $2.99 US right now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Christine - I did. Not so sure about the ending, but...it's growing on me :) I liked how Yeine fought even from her place of little-to-no power. And I agree, the world building is fascinating. Very different. Have you read the sequel? This might sound weird, but...I want the Three together. You love Elfand more? Hmmm...tempted *grin*

    And that's a great price at Amazon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have not yet read the sequel. I hope to at some point, that's for sure. It's my understanding that the sequel takes place several years down the road from the end of The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms, not exactly a direct continuation of the conflicts in the first. So I'm in less of a hurry to read it.

    Yes, I loved Elfland more... but that's because the romance, coming of age, family saga type stories are my favorites, which this one is. Less assertively fantasy, if that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete