11 June 2011

Signs And Symptoms

I was having a chat with a friend earlier this week about a particular book. This friend has just started the book, as have I (which probably lets the cat out of the bag as to the name of said book). I quite like reading a book in tandem because then I have someone to discuss the WTF moments with, particularly if the book is either completely gripping or driving you at the wall :) Anyway, we were discussing when one should admit that a book is either not holding one's interest or...is not the right book for one's frame of mind at that particular point. This friend has decided to see whether she has progressed from the page she is currently on by the end of the weekend. I think that still being on the same page, and an early one at that, after a predefined period is definitely a sign that the book is not the right one. And that got me to thinking about other signs... Reading avoidance is a good one for me. Or dreaming about other books and planning when to read them (although I do that a fair bit anyway :)

So, what sign(s) tell you that it's not the right book? Or do the signs change depending on the book?

8 comments:

  1. Depends on the book. I was reading Light and Water by M. King, got halfway through it, and just randomly put it aside to read something else... which I virtually never do. I left it in my currently read list for two months before I admitted that I just didn't care enough about the characters to bother finishing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I decide to watch TV--even the commericials--without once picking up the book (provided it's not one of my favorite shows, like Chuck), then I know I just don't want to read it anymore. Or if I'm reading it at night and decide I'd just rather sleep... yeah. Not a good sign.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I put a book to one side to do anything else - it doesn't matter what that is - it's basically a sign that I won't be getting back to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris - *nods* I think just randomly putting a book down and picking up something else definitely counts. And yes, no connection to the characters is a big one for me. If I don't even care enough to peak at the ending, then I know I should just stop then and there.

    heidenkind - ahhh, those are two great signs! I always seem to watch TV while doing something - eating, ironing, washing dishes (I think me learning to just relax and watch TV is my next challenge) - but I like to always have a book handy.

    Kris - yup, that's another good one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Depends on the book. But if I can start something else, that's a big sign that I'm not into it. I try to read one book at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ames - yup! That's definitely a good...er....not good sign :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can read more than one book at a time and still be interested in all the books. BUT, if I put the one book aside and don't come back to it immediately, that's definitely not a good sign. If I get distracted by the TV or would rather blog hop than read, that's not a good sign; if I begin skimming other books to see what's ahead or go book shopping on line instead, not a good sign. AND, if I have the book in my bag for over a week and I STILL won't read that fifth chapter... even though I didn't bring anything else to read at lunch time? Definitely not a good sign. :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hils - those are great signs! Particularly the last one! If it's the only book you have and you still don't want to read it...bells will toll!

    ReplyDelete