28 September 2011

Golden Oldie

There are some books that you just can't forget...

In the late 1980s I discovered (via the library :) a science-fiction series called The Paratwa by Christopher Hinz. Ring any bells? The basic premise is as follows:
Two hundred years after a nuclear apocalypse forced humanity to flee earth, humans still remember the most feared warriors of that planet - the Paratwa, genetically modified killers who occupy two bodies controlled by one vicious mind.
I've been dithering for, well, years about re-reading this series, even though I've read very little science-fiction of late. And, at long last, after much internal nagging, I've given in and bought it from The Book Depository (unfortunately, it is no longer in my library system).

Aside: Has anyone watched The Book Depository Live? It's...scarily addictive!

Oh, and while I was at The Book Depository a yaoi manga novel (Sleeping with Money) just happened to fall into my basket. I have no idea how!

So, what series just won't let go of you, no matter how hard you fight it?

Edited to add: The Paratwa is now available in eBook format at Fictionwise! I still wanted print versions though :)

6 comments:

  1. I've never read it, but I know I've heard the name, probably back around when the books were new. I look forward to hearing how it stacks up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What interesting cover art.

    And yeah.. I've been sucked into watching The Book Depository Live a time or two. It's fascinating, isn't it?

    I'm thinking of an answer to your series question. I don't think I have a series that won't let ME go... but I admit I can't let go of the BDB. It's a sickness, I tell you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of that series.

    But I do have a book like that - Babel-17 by Samuel R. Delany, which was, weirdly, in my grade school library, so I probably read it when I was in 4th or 5th grade (around 10 years old?). It's about how the language you know shapes how you think, and can even prevent you from thinking about certain concepts, etc.

    Pretty amazing thing to read at that impressionable age. Glad I did so! (And hey, nothing wrong with reading something from one of the few gay black scifi writers out there.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, sounds interesting! I'll be interested in how that re-read goes for you.

    Yes! I've been mesmerized by TBD Live, too. lol

    For me it's Octavia Butler's Parable series. Tho' coincidentally, over the last 6 months or so I've been thinking about re-reading her 2 sci-fi series, Patternmaster and Xenogenesis. Awesome books!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Probably the Fever series by Karen Marie Moning! As for rereads, I want to reread The Secret Circle again but I'm not sure... I read it way too many times and the last time I tried, I couldn't make it past book one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. rocalisa - I'll definitely let you know what I think :)

    Christine - new covers I think. The original covers are...very 1980s *grin* And I can't let go of the BDB books either - they are addictive :)

    Chris - Babel-17 sounds interesting. I love books that stick with you :)

    Renee - I'll definitely let you know what I think. Might have to write a review of them *GULP*

    heidenkind - hmmm. One day I might just have to try the Fever series, but considering all the cliffhangers it will need to be all at once!

    ReplyDelete