21 November 2011

It...

...may have come to your attention that I have changed my avatar (on Blogger and GoodReads) over the last few days...to this.

The model in the picture is Andrej Pejic - isn't he gorgeous? In a recent interview, Andrej Pejic was asked the following by ABC Nightline's Juju Chang:
Chang: When you see yourself in the mirror, do you think of yourself more as a man or as a woman?
Pejic: I like to keep my options open.
Chang: What does that mean?
Pejic: I see myself.
'I see myself'. And that segues nicely to the new addition to the blog:



Embrace the Rainbow is a challenge laid down by the lovely Kris from Kris 'n' Good Books, Aleksandr Voinov, Amara Devonte:
A challenge to help us increase awareness, acceptance and support for the trans*, intersex, intergender and questioning people in the m/m romance and broader community.
If I've learnt one thing over the past few weeks, it is that people don't fit into boxes (no matter how much easier I find that). See, I like boundaries. If I can identify something, and by extension extrapolate where the boundaries are, I won't go over them...won't get into trouble - I feel safer. But you can't always do that. People are...fluid. In so many ways. And more than wanting to find those boundaries I don't ever want my views (in any way, shape or form) to adversely affect anyone. People are people, and that's how I see them. And that's why I've decided to embrace the rainbow :)

10 comments:

  1. I saw that interview with Andrej Pejic! He sounds like a really interesting person. I love that in Australia you can officially classify your sex as "unknown" on your passport.

    ReplyDelete
  2. heidenkind - I am in the process of hunting down the full interview after reading that quote :) And I didn't know that about Australian passports! Just Googled and I think that's also the case for New Zealand passports.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is very cool about the passports!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris - it is! I never knew that about the NZ passports - it's all thanks to heidenkind that I Googled it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "I see myself"

    What an extraordinarily self-assured response!

    Kudos to Andrej Pejic--definitely an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. azteclady - I love that answer. It's inspiring :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great response by Andrej Pejic, orannia.

    On this subject, I have a couple of book recommendations for you. Diana Comet and Other Improbable Stories by Sandra McDonald -- my #1LGBTQ pick for 2010 (loved Diana); and Lola Dances by Victor Banis.
    There's also a+e 4EVER by I. Merey --- a YA gender queer graphic novel that is quite good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is very cool about the passports.
    I came across a similar excerpt from a different interview with Andrej elsewhere within the last month or two. I think perhaps it was on the radio. I admire Andrej for the strong role model that is needed for people everywhere.

    I think it's only natural for humans to categorize and label everything we come in contact with--including people. HOWEVER. Why is it so difficult for people on this planet to recognize that it is the infinite number of possible combinations or blendings of any and all 'categories' or 'labels' that make life so interesting, unique, special and beautiful?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hils - thank you so much for the book recommendations! I will look them up :)

    Why is it so difficult for people on this planet to recognize that it is the infinite number of possible combinations or blendings of any and all 'categories' or 'labels' that make life so interesting, unique, special and beautiful?

    Christine - IDK. If you look at nature, it is its diversity that is so enriching. Why can't we accept such diversity in ourselves?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wanna marry a. pejic.

    Too bad he can do better! :D
    Great post <3

    ReplyDelete