22 February 2012

Rambling

Caveat: This is one of those posts whose title says it all. It...rambles :)

One of my most favourite things (don't worry, I'm not going to inflict the Sound of Music on you [although it does have its place *grin*]) is lying in bed listening to rain on the roof. I just find it...soothing. Today is the one-year anniversary of the Christchurch Earthquake, in which 185 people lost their lives. The people of Christchurch are rebuilding...and their resilience, in a year filled with thousands of aftershocks, is...inspiring. So...I thought on a day of remembrance I would introduce you to one of my favourite New Zealand bands, Dragon, and one of their songs - Rain. This song has a lot of memories, most of which are tied up with university (college for those of you in North America :)



So, I'm curious, what old song holds poignant memories for you?

5 comments:

  1. 80s music just has a certain sound, doesn't it? :)

    Hmm. Probably "A Night Like This" by the Cure. I had a tumultuous relationship with this guy in 1986-1987. After one dramatic fight, I flounced out and went home to find this song on my answering machine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only example I can think if is Cadillac Ranch by Bruce Springsteen. I was listening to it the moment I heard my grandfather died. Now whenever I hear that song, I'm transported back to that moment. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris - 80s music so has a certain sound. And...interesting song to leave on your answer phone. As for The Cure...I didn't know about them until I went to university, but better late than never :)

    Tasha - oh dear. I'm so sorry you have that memory. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm a poignant memory... I would have to say "Through the Fire" by Chaka Kahn. My now husband and I considered this for 'our song' when we were dating, but in the end decided No because it struck too strong a chord with the problems my family were giving me over our relationship [which lead to me being permanently disowned anyway] and I didn't want to think of that every time we heard 'our song.' Turns out it sort of is one of 'our songs', after all, if I always think of that difficult time of my life whenever I hear it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Christine - but you own it in that you came out the other side - and look where you are now *beams* You're so inspiring! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete