31 March 2012

Law & Order

So...I've been called up. For jury service that is, not military service *grin* (Which is probably a good thing because somehow I don't think drill sergeants and I would get along :) I have been called up for jury service once before, although I never saw the inside of a courtroom. I'm not quite sure how I feel about it this time. On the one hand I would like to see the inside of a New Zealand courtroom...preferably as a juror rather than as a defendant or as a victim. On the other hand it's a lot of responsibility, being a juror.

So, have you ever been called up for jury service?

Edited to add: For those of you who are curious, according to Wikipedia, there will be no white wigs :(

7 comments:

  1. Well, pooey about the white wigs - that would be very entertaining.

    Yup, I had jury duty once, 11 years ago. It wasn't particularly exciting, which is probably good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been called twice, but I haven't had to serve. I wouldn't mind if it were in the summer and I didn't have to miss work. Of course, I probably couldn't be on the jury because I've taught a lot of the local criminals. I tend to see familiar names on the police report every week. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris - I know. I would have so like to see the white wigs :)

    Eyre - you've been called twice? And you tend to see familiar names? Oh no! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've gotten some notices, but I've never been selected. I ALWAYS get called for jury service right before I go on a trip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tasha - that is like the worst timing! Here if you can't go you can defer, but they will call on you within the next 12 months.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been called up for jury duty twice, and have needed to be excused twice. The first time I was working on a huge project that was due to go live during the week I was expected to possibly be in court. The second time I was due to be sitting university exams.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ShellBell - it's been interesting listening to everyone WRT how many times they have been called up. And yes, I can imagine exams would be a very valid reason to not be a juror.

    ReplyDelete