30 December 2012

The 2013 Big Book Challenge

Edited to add: Link Title means your username :)

Tis the season for Book Challenges! And since it's the season I thought I would...play *grin* So, I hereby bring you: The Big Book Challenge (yes, again). And when I say big I mean really big, because in this challenge, size really does matter. You see, even after reading a number of 'big' books last year, I still panic when I see them... They are so big I'm afraid they will eat my alive! *hides under bed* So, this challenge it to help me tackle those big books that scare me.













The challenge rules are simple:

1) Read a big book, and by a big book I mean a book with more than 400 pages, before the end of 2013.

2) The book can be in any format as long as its length is equivalent to more than 400 pages in print (hardback, trade paperback or mass market paperback) format.

3) The big book can be from any fiction genre (e.g. fantasy, romance, science fiction). It can even be non-fiction.

4) A review is not required (although I'm going to attempt a post detailing my thoughts on the book, or the reasons why I didn't finish it *grin*).

5) No penalties if the book isn't read by the end of 2013 (because this is meant to be fun and I'm sure we'll put enough pressure on ourselves without this challenge being the last straw).

6) The book can be changed at any time! (Flexibility is important IMO :)

7) You can join at any time throughout the year!

Please sign-up below and let me know in the comments what big book you have been avoiding! For me, it's a re-read: Sarah Monette's Corambis! (And for those observant among you, yes, this was my 2012 Big Book Challenge book...which I never got too!)

This challenge was inspired by the lovely Heidenkind from Truth, Beauty, Freedom & Books and a discussion I had at some point....somewhere ...back in 2009.

12 comments:

  1. I'm still trying to get back to the Wars of Light and Shadow which I think are amazing but which scare me. I'm not going to force myself, but it's good to have a goal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAH! So glad you decided to sign up :) And absolutely no pressure - please note point 5 *grin*

      Delete
  2. Wow, I didn't complete my Big Book Challenge for 2012. I think I was going to read Game of Thrones. Maybe I'll try to succeed in 2013!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too didn't complete last year's challenge so am repeating :) Did you want to add your username to the link above? So it's all official *grin*

      Delete
  3. Don't know which book yet, but I'm always down for this challenge :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAH! Looking forward to seeing what book you end up selecting :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm in! The first big book I want to tackle is to finish Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy. I started it last fall, but put it down at page 250 or so. It has over 800 pages, so finishing it is my challenge. There was another big book I thought about reading in 2013 but I can't remember what it is !!! lol!

    Good luck, everyone! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YAH! Oh, that is one large book! And I'm sure you'll remember the other one at some point - still over 11 months to go *grin*

      Delete
  6. This feels like a cheat to me because I WILL automatically be reading Lover at Last, just 544 pages, but still I guess that qualifies. Maybe I'll read it twice :D Great challenge O.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome! I'm glad you like the challenge! It was born in an effort to stop avoiding those huge books that just put you off because of their size :) And it's definitely not a cheat to include Lover at Last IMHO!

      Delete
  7. Lover at Last is 609 pages in my e-reader... will be used as Big Book Challenge :)

    ReplyDelete