08 January 2013

Expectation

According to the Oxford English Dictionary:

Expectation  • noun 1 a strong belief that something will happen or be the case: reality had not lived up to expectations [mass noun]: I sat down in expectation of a feast of nostalgia; a belief that someone will or should achieve something: students had high expectations for their future; (expectations) archaic one’s prospects of inheritance. 2 Mathematicsanother term for expected value.
 
So, there I was, reading a novella over breakfast, thinking to myself that I had a whole chapter to go until the end and wondering if I'd either be 1) late for work in an effort to finish it or 2) have to finish it over lunch (and, at the back of my mind unsure as to why I was only ~69% through the novella with only one chapter to go but figuring what did I know *grin*) when I saw those words that strikes fear into the heart of any reader who is enjoying a story and doesn’t want it to end: ‘About the Author’. WTF was pretty close to what came out of my mouth. Which translates into: 'And low and behold in the East the reader saw a sign…a sign of other books and the excerpts that surrounded them. And the reader was laid low with horror and grief. For indeed the novella had ended where those dreaded words had been laid, with the remaining almost ONE-THIRD of the novella filled with excerpts. And there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth.'
I do believe there is a free short epilogue somewhere, but…seriously…the novella itself…the one that I bought…only made up two-thirds of the file? I kind of feel…cheated. Not cheated WRT price though - I purchased the book expecting a novella and that it was I received. And US$2.50 for ~16,000 words seems fair to me. It's more that I wasn't expecting the novella to finish where it did. Usually I get up to ~90% before the book ends. And...usually the chapters listed in the Contents relate to the story and not the additional extras....
 
So, have you ever had an eBook finish way before you expected it too, with the remainder of the file filled to overflowing with excerpts?

OT - it seems an English footballer has become only the third footballer to feature on the cover of the UK's bestselling gay magazine Attitude. And, well, yum!

15 comments:

  1. That has happened to me, and it's annoying! I loved your post about it though. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I was not a happy bunny this morning when I realized!

      Delete
  2. I HATE that. Especially because I never, ever read those excerpts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It actually happens way more to me with ebooks put out by the so-called New York best selling authors published by mainstream publishers rather than gay fiction. I've not really noticed it with gay ebooks. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Orannia, I'm with Ivan on this one. I notice it a lot with M/M Romance ebooks. It drives me absolutely batty ("gnashing of teeth" is right!) and you know what that means for me? I won't buy the sequel or anything else by that author or that publisher. That's what it means... I've eliminated a lot of people that way because I refuse to waste my money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was chatting to a friend of mine who is an author, and I think it's the publisher's decision rather than the author's. I mean the odd excerpt for that author's books, that's OK, but numerous excerpts for other books? Feels like advertising...

      Delete
  5. Oh I hate it when this happens!! There are a few publishers who put out novellas that you think are 125 pages but end up being 70 because the rest contains excerpts. Very frustrating. I would have had a WTF moment too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Samhain and Carina are usually the ones that do this the most... it's quite annoying. I'm with you on this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *checks* It was a Samhain book...

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. GRRR! Sorry Chris - the above was my reply to you, but for some reason (user error) it ended up as a separate comment rather than a reply :)

      Delete
  8. I always appreciate a review with page count, length but never do it myself. Hypocrite here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then that makes two of us :) I've read books that stop around 90% or so, but the excerpts are always separate from the chapters, not in them! That's what drove me more nuts than the fact they were there!

      Delete