01 February 2014

Irregulars Anthology

So earlier today I finished the Irregulars anthology. Overall I gave it four and a half stars, which is broken down as follows:

Cherries Worth Getting (Nicole Kimberling): I loved the world building and I thought the plot was beyond fascinating. I did feel the writing was more tell than show though and sometimes felt a bit...stilted? Clunky? In places. However, I would definitely like another story (longer) with the two main characters! Four and a half stars.

Green Glass Beads (Josh Lanyon): This novella had the author's typical flow. I wasn't sure how I felt about Archer (the main character whose POV we saw), but every time I was edging towards disliking him the author would tip me the other way with some personal insight that fleshed out his character and explained more about why he was the way he was. We knew less about Rake (the other main character), but that didn't worry me. Overall I thought the author balanced character development and plot well with a limited word count. Four and a half stars.

No Life But This (Astrid Amara): This was mind-blowing! The world-building was incredible - in at times a totally squick way - and I loved the character development, although we had far more about Deven...but he was so interesting. So many layers I wanted to peel off! And I'm with August: the Aztaw are SCARY! (Yes the capitals are necessary!) Seriously, why does this anthology not have a sequel??? Five stars.

Things Unseen and Deadly (Ginn Hale): I must confess that this was my least favourite of the novellas that made up the anthology. I'm a big fan of character development, and while the POV alternated between Jason and Henry I never felt like I had a handle on them, although at times the loneliness of both characters came through. I also found the plot dragged a little. Normally I love the beautiful descriptions Ginn Hale includes - if you haven't read The Rifter rectify that right now! - but in this book I just wanted the plot to move. (I'm probably the only one that felt this way.) Four stars.

2 comments: