08 February 2014

When To Read

So I've had a book on my Currently Reading shelf at GoodReads that I have yet to start. Instead, I've been re-reading scenes from various books...a 'whatever takes my fancy' kind of thing. It's not that I don't want to read the book. I do. I think part of the problem is that I consider the author a close friend and I don't want to not like it. Do I think I will not like it? No. My friend is an incredible writer and all of her work that I have read to date I have more than enjoyed. But the thought that this could be the exception has me...not struck dumb so much as struck readerless (or should that be rudderless? *grin*) Plus, I know it's a book with some angst, and I'm kind of wound up ATM (part of the reason while I have been AWOL for the past week)...and I think that is holding me back... And when I'm all anxious I turn to comfort reads, but I have so many books in my unread pile and listed on my To Be Read shelf (which are kind of mutually exclusive) that I feel guilty...

And all of the above has left me stuck re-reading all and sundry...until today when I remembered the words of a very wise close friend, the very lovely rocalisa at Too Many Books, to read what I felt like reading, and to not feel guilty if I chose to not read something and/or finish something. So, I'm going to move the aforementioned book from my Currently Reading Shelf to my To Be Read Shelf and read my comfort read.

So, are there ever times when you plan to read something, but just end up reading something else...

4 comments:

  1. I don't plan to read anything. If I do I usually wind up changing my mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hm...maybe I should try that approach :)

      Delete
  2. Just all the time.

    This is why I have so much trouble sticking to reading challenges--it's not that I don't want to join with other readers and stuff, it's that as soon as there's a deadline I feel anxious about it and that sucks the joy of reading out of it. And for me there's no point in reading without joy, so I avoid that book, and that increases my anxiety about the blasted deadline, and that feeds back into the lack of joy and...

    Which probably explains why there are hundreds of physical and hundreds of digital books waiting to be read chez aztec, while I binge re-read old favorites.

    I absolutely second rocalisa's advice: don't ever feel guilty about reading, or not reading, as the case might be.

    ReplyDelete