11 March 2014

Library Thing Vs GoodReads Vs BookLikes

When I first ventured online a good friend told me about Library Thing. So I joined. And it was nice, tracking my books, etc. Then the friend moved to GoodReads and told me all about that. So I joined. And...while it was nice, tracking what I was reading, what I loved about GoodReads was the community. Talking about books. Discovering new books. Speculating about forthcoming books (I seriously had as much fun speculating what was coming next in Ginn Hale's The Rifter as I did reading it :) With likeminded people who read what I did. But...IDK. Something has changed on GoodReads over the past several months. The community feels...disjointed. There has been the whole 'we, the administrators, can delete your reviews whenever we like' and the move to it being more about authors and less about readers. And, gradually, the people whose status updates I looked forward to reading seem to have vanished... Don't get me wrong, I love interacting with authors (please refer to The Rifter speculation group comment), but connecting with people who read and enjoy what I do was what kept me at GoodReads....

Which leads me to BookLikes. A number of people who used to be on GoodReads have moved there. (Or back to Library Thing. Or both :) My issue with the latter is I want to be able to discuss books. But more than that, I want to be able to discuss books with my friends. So, I guess what I'm really asking is - where do you go to talk books? Because where you are is where I want to be! (And any pros/cons for your choice would be greatly appreciated :)

8 comments:

  1. My LibraryThing is set to private, so I'm invisible there in my little hockey fic world. I'm on Booklikes, but I'm pretty inert there (see the hockey fic thing). Same thing with Goodreads.

    Besides the whole seismic shift at GRs, I think a lot of more seasoned m/m readers are getting frustrated with the state of m/m these days. Kate (who moved entirely to BL) had a great post about that yesterday:
    http://k.booklikes.com/post/818939/this-really-isn-t-about-the-book-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apologies for being so slow in replying! I can't believe there are still hockey fanfics you haven't read *grin* OMG that post by Kate was spot on. Very rarely of late have I been finding something fresh and...organic, which is maybe why I'm finding reading so hard.

      Delete
  2. There's so much drama going on at Goodreads. I don't like drama, and I especially don't want to deal with it on my off-hours when I'm trying to have fun. I still use it but in a more limited capacity.

    I'm also on Booklikes and Library Thing, but I'm not that into either. There's another book site I really like and am enjoying though called Book Digits! I like how they hate you rate books by theme and rereadability instead of just stars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apologies for the delay in replying! The GR drama has totally been putting me off. I usually miss it - not sure if that's a time zone thing or just because I'm visiting as much any more. I just want to talk books with other readers. And while yes it's nice to touch base with an author I don't need too. And I don't want to have to censor myself to the extreme... I do like the sound of rating on theme and readability...

      Delete
  3. Once Amazon bought GoodReads, it was a matter of time before things went to hell in a handbasket--as they have.

    I can't help you much directly, though.

    I confess that I was never too attached to it myself, but a good number of people who I know from SBTB, Dear Author, etc were some of the 'big names" at GoodReads--and some got large segments of their reviews deleted arbitrarily and without recourse too.

    During the upheaval, Jane at Dear Author posted at least to pieces on alternative book communities--including LibraryThing and BookLikes, if memory serves--and commenters suggested others, as well as pointed out more detailed pros and cons of different communities. Perhaps that would help too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apologies for the delay in replying. I will check out the DA post - thank you. The arbitrary review deletion worries me...I get it if the review doesn't actually say anything of substance, but then if it's meant to be a reader site...except it's not...any more...is it?

      Delete
  4. I'm on Booklikes and have been mostly posting there. I still get to GR because the book database is still a bit better than BL, but BL is getting there. Blogging and talking about books is much better at BL. There's also Leafmarks, although I'm not active there at all.

    I'm enjoying Booklikes. If you join, my URL is mearias.booklikes.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apologies for the delay in replying. I have seen you at GR - it's nice you haven't moved completely. I may have to think about BL more, especially if the talking about books bit is getting better :0 I think my problem is that I hardly have enough time to blog, so having two reading sites on top of my blog..0_0

      Delete